Chapter 24

‘Miss?’ she repeats. ‘Do you want any whipped cream for your coffee?’

I raised a hand and pressed hard on the throbbing vein above my right eyebrow, rubbing it. The throbbing had become intense. ‘No I like it fine without the whipped cream,’ I replied her softly and watch her take the change out to pass it over to me. I allowed her to drop the coins onto my hand before wandering towards the back of the counter where they give out the cups.

The alluring smell of coffee beans, the light chit-chat of the customers, the calm and peaceful atmosphere-this is where I want to be right now. This coffee shop with its friendly workers where they serve their top-notch coffee is where I want to stay for the rest of my life. But alas, I have somewhere to go to.

I certainly looked out of place as I ran a hand through my hair absentmindedly since I was wearing a tight black tank top and loose sweatpants. I was wearing the normal workout outfit I usually adorn during practice. Yes, the softball practices are back despite me having obvious injuries.

Henry had given us the green light apparently. I was more than happy. Hell, I shouted in happiness when Abby told me that we’re back on track during our shared classes. The team had started their practices, Mitchie was there supervising and I had left them temporarily to get my caffeine fix.

I was an addict.

I turned as a girl my age rattled of my order so I slid towards the counter top to grab my venti frappe before walking towards the table where it held the straws and everything. Humming a random song under my breath, I placed the cup on the table while I grabbed the straw and two pieces of serviette before leaving the calming coffee shop.

Actually, I didn’t even want to leave that place but my team needs me in school and I need to be the responsible Captain which is bullshit actually because my co-captain is there anyway. But I can’t let Mitchie down. I started singing Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven under my breath while I made my way back to school slowly and sipped the coffee with a contented smile on my face.

Ten minutes later, I was standing beside Mitchie who was observing the team do their conditioning with a critical eye. Offering the large cup of coffee to my bestfriend without a word, I gave the team encouraging smiles as they all looked like they wanted to faint due to the harsh training.

I wished I was with them sweating it out but the doctor had told me not to strain myself for about a week or two because the elbow needs time to get used to the foreign object that had been substituted as the bone. It sounded like bull to me but then with an evil look from Mitchie, I had sulked by myself as I watched the team sweat it out.

‘White chocolate mocha frappe?’ he asked, recognizing the taste without sparing a glance at me after he had taken a huge gulp from my coffee. He had a steady scowl on his handsome face as he watched the team struggle under his instructions. ‘I thought you preferred caramel frappe instead.’

I rolled my eyes at him before snatching my coffee away from his hands, not wanting him to finish it. ‘None of your business,’ I retorted back at him, pouting at him since I didn’t forgive him for giving me the evil eye just now.

I could imagine him rolling his eyes at me but I pointedly ignored him as I stared at my team, watching their progress with a trained eye. They were panting but they looked determined as they shouted their numbers out, moving as a team as they did the usual sets Mitch had them doing for the past year.

Seeing them sweating and running quite sluggishly, I opened my mouth to tell them to take a break but then Mitch beat me to it. That smug bastard. ‘Alright team, take a fifteen minute break,’ he ordered them and gave them a satisfied smirk.