Chapter 22

‘Oh my fucking god.’

I shot up from the bed despite my injuries and raced out of my ward with the rest of the people in tow. Mum and Liam were shouting after me to slow down but I didn’t care. My bestfriend was finally awake! I was so happy as I raced down the hallways with the hospital garb and barefoot.

I urged them to run faster, shouting after my shoulder as I skidded down the corridors and jabbed the lift buttons as fast as I could. After swearing at the lift like a mad woman, I shot through the double doors and waited impatiently for the rest to crowd into the elevator. I jabbed the button to Mitchie’s floor and waited again.

Ten minutes later after much argument, cussing and yelling with the doctors, I burst through Mitchie’s ward like I was on crack.

There, my bestfriend whom I cherished so much was seated upright and was beaming at me but his face fell when he saw my right arm swathed in a bandage. ‘Mitchie!’ I called him excitedly and raced towards him to hug him tightly to me. ‘Oh my god you’re awake! I missed you!’

He laughed at my euphoria and he pulled me away to run his dark eyes over my face before latching onto my clothes. He gripped me tightly as his eyes darken in anger. ‘What happened to you babe?’ he exclaimed at me, scowling. ‘Why are you wearing hospital clothes and why is your arm in bandages?’

I let out an embarrassed laugh. ‘I fell in the skating rink Mitchie, honest,’ I replied him and rubbed my neck as I flushed bright red. ‘But nevermind that, you’re awake! It’s been two weeks do you know that?’

He looked like as if he’s about to interrogate me more at the way his eyes narrow at my fake laughter and the way I changed the subject quickly. But seeing and also hearing the rest of the team, Liam and Mum coming in made him stop. His expression softened and he motioned me onto the bed with his index finger, trying to be coy.

‘Come here you,’ he said as he motioned me over. I rolled my eyes at him and scooted onto the bed beside him, leaning onto him as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I sighed wistfully, I haven’t had his hug for weeks now and I kind of missed it. ‘The nurses told me that trivial information.’

‘You know the police is going to ask you what happened,’ I told him softly. He was about to reply me but the rest of the team beat him to it. They started exclaiming at him, happy and glad that he was finally awake. He had to release me from his hold as he had to clap hands with the boys, thanking them and joking along.

I sat there beside him, watching my bestfriend closely. His eyes were still twinkling happily under the light and I could see that he was still the same person I know. I was afraid that after that coma he might lose some of his memory or something, thinking that his brain backfiring. I was afraid but seeing him like that, my fear is gone.

The team stayed for about an hour because then, the police had arrived. The two police officers came all-business in their stare and chased away the rest of the team members. They said their goodbyes and quickly left, not wanting to be caught by the two police who glared at them.

‘So Mitchell Aguirre, you’re finally awake after two weeks. How are you feeling?’ one of the younger policeman asked, trying to be civil and friendly at the same time as both of the officers opened their notepad to begin their interrogations. ‘Do you know why we are here Mitchell?’

‘I feel fine officer, thanks for asking,’ he replied swiftly. ‘Yeah, I got into a fight and got shot, obviously that’s why you’re here about to interrogate me.’

‘Yeah so start talking.’

Mitchie let out a sigh and brought his arms around my shoulder, making me lean on him. He was making himself comfortable against the bed as he tried to collect his thoughts. It’s like as if he was telling a story to kids instead of giving his statements. I had to roll my eyes at that.