Chapter 4

A year ago.

I was doing laps on the skating rink. I had my hands curled behind my back nicely, my legs pushing out beneath me as I sailed calmly in the middle of the rink. I was in my own world, my own free world where no one beats me. No one to hurt me in any way. I did a spin perfectly, doing a little footwork as I slowed down.

I was about to pass another round when someone gave a shout to my left and grabbed me, trying to stay upright. I let out a startled yelp but managed to stay upright, grabbing onto the boy’s arms to steady us both.

I did a turn and halted, seeing the most handsome boy I had ever seen in my entire life. I met his clear blue eyes and I felt myself falling into those bluest depths. He saw me staring and his lips turned into a smirk. Startled that I was staring, I took my hands off his arm. Mumbling an apology, I sped off from him. I could feel my face burning and I did a couple of laps, speeding down the rink like I was crazy. People looked at me like I was mad, doing a sharp turn, my blades digging into the ice making a dent.

After a moment, I stopped doing crazy laps on the rink and just slowly skated my way through. I kept thinking about the Adonis that I had seen earlier. I knew he was with a group of friends and judging by the clothes, all of them were rugby players. And all of them were from my school.

My heart literally sank as I saw those initials.

I was in the softball team, a junior and the best batter they had seen. But ice skating was my love too. I was best in both sports but ice skating is just a recreational thing for me. I only do it when I was tired of softball and tired of life. Tired of living the same recurring nightmare. Nothing can touch me here.

Coming back to the Adonis, if he really is in rugby, we were considered as enemies back in my school. Our two sports hated each other to the core. I didn’t know what actually happened but we were both rivalries. We were both the best in the state but we hated each other to the core.

I sighed.

It won’t be good.

I did a perfect spin in the middle of the rink, letting my body loose to the music and the sounds of people laughing around me. I did a couple more rounds, passing many people as they struggled on. I moved pass them like I was running while they were slowly crawling. I had never felt so good before.

I heard someone call me from the other end of the rink. I turned to see Dad beckoning me from the exit. I halted halfway and stared at the sight. Why was he here? I paled and everything seemed to disappear once I saw Dad standing there smiling at me. It should be unreal, he had never smiled at me like that before.

Not once he lost his job and lost his dream.

He had never been here before since he hated ice skating. That means, it meant one thing. I felt my heart drop. Mum. He was here because of Mum. I felt anger brewing inside my chest as I skated towards him and stopped a few feet away from me so that he couldn’t grab me if he tried.

‘Why are you here?’ I asked him bluntly.

‘It’s time to go home honey-‘

‘Don’t ever call me that,’ I told him quietly. ‘You have no right to call me that you cheap bastard. If you hurt Mum-‘

‘Look bitch, if you don’t follow me out of here and back home, your bitch of a Mother would be off worse than I left her, she wouldn’t even be able to see the daylight anymore,’ he sneered at me. His voice was down to a whisper but it carried easily towards me. I paled at his threat.

He glared at me and left me standing. At once, I shot out of the rink and exchanged my skates with my shoes. When I came back out of the rink, I saw his car leaving. Cursing under my breath, I ran the shortcut home. I needed to get to Mum before he does. I need to protect her before he hits her more.