Chapter 10

‘I swear to God I didn’t get into any fights!’

‘Seriously Allison-‘

‘Sweet Jesus! I did not get into any fights! I am not violent nor would I even involve myself with these petty issues!’ I exclaimed at Abby and the rest of my team during lunch break. I was beginning to feel exasperated at their flat looks and blank expressions.

‘Did you say you’re not violent? Are you even sure that you’re not violent oh Miss Allison? Because I still remember what you did to me for my sixteenth birthday after I dumped you in the water fountain,’ Mike told me sarcastically. 

‘It’s like saying the sky isn’t blue,’ someone muttered.

I mumbled about alien-forms and disloyal team members while they watch me squirm under their hot gazes. All of them were wearing similar expressions, all of them looking mystified and disbelief showing on their faces when I told them what happened-although I hadn’t disclosed who actually had punched me.

I can’t believe they didn’t believe me!

I let out a growl. ‘I didn’t start any fights alright?’ I exclaimed at them loudly, feeling exasperated at the way they did not believe whatever I was saying. The boys just rolled their eyes at me and I was about to open my mouth to snap at them when my eyes saw my bestfriend who was slouching his way out of the cafeteria.

I was about to open my mouth to shout at him but then his aloof attitude and the way he was holding himself stopped me from calling him. He looked utterly crushed and miserable. His dark hair which was usually spiked up neatly was thoroughly dishevelled as if he had ran both his hands through it in frustration.

His usually gleeful eyes-bright intelligent green eyes which would beam at me whenever we hang out together were so dull and bleak. It was like seeing a shell of what your bestfriend used to be. I frowned at his sudden behaviour and one thought came into my mind. Actually, one person came to mind. That involves loads of make-up and micro-sized clothing. Isabel. I knew it was a wrong thing for them to be together. I had told him about it, telling him not to go on with it but he was too stubborn and too blinded by love to see it.

Being the bestfriend since kindergarten, I left my team by the bench and followed Liam outside.

He had rammed both hands into his jeans’ pockets and his broad shoulders were slumped as he made his way unseeingly along the empty hallways. I watched him move like a lost puppy and I couldn’t take it any longer. I screamed his nickname which made him halt-literally froze while in mid-walk.

He turned around to see me beaming at him. His expression soften when he saw me standing so I ran towards him and launched myself at him, wrapping my arms around him in a warm embrace. He let out a shocked yell before he teetered backwards thanks to the sudden change of elevation. I let out a laugh and lets him go before he made us fall over.

‘You look like a lost puppy,’ I commented at him before tugging him along the deserted hallways. He kept quiet but he let me drag him along. I weaved my way through the corridors and down a couple of stairs before walking towards the gym. Since everyone was having lunch, the gym was empty.

Good.

Ten minutes later, the both of us were casually throwing basketball through the hoops and laughing as we attempted to do touch-ups or slam dunks. Liam was already loosening up, a small smile playing his lips as he tried scoring from the third-pointer, aiming at different angles.

It was something we always do whenever we had problems.

We hang out together and play whatever sport we liked.