Chapter 6

It was the same routine for me ever since Mum left the hospital. I will wake up hearing my own screams again and she will wake up, hugs me, whisper that everything is fine before I told her that I was sorry for waking her up. I will let her sleep on the couch and I will walk towards the bathroom to get ready for school.

I will stare into space once I was in the bathroom, letting the warm water cascade around me. I will wash myself, clean myself up using my own lilac bath gel and wash the soap off my body before drying myself up. I will wear jeans, either it was ripped or skinny jeans and then I will either rotate using a band shirt, a jumper or a wife beater over a sweater.

It’s all routine, like a freaky schedule for me and it’s almost getting bleary.

I hated repeating the same damn thing over and over. It’s like my life has no damn meaning. It’s the same pattern, wake up screaming, bathe, haul ass to school, haul ass to practice, haul ass home, dinner, bed. It’s the same damn thing all over again for the next day.

Where’s the fun in that?

I hate the normalcy my life had become.

Now, I was in the school hallways.

Jase had fetched me to school, diligently for the past two weeks. We spent every Sunday training together. I didn’t know why he wanted me to train with him but my conditioning was harsh. The first time we trained together, he couldn’t keep up. I wasn’t worried though, nobody in my team could keep up with me.

Jase was one weird fellow.

Anyway, I was getting pretty irritated at the lack of sleep and I keep yawning every now and then which didn’t make my mood any better. I had snapped at the first person who bumped into me into the hallways and the first year looked absolutely terrified at me. I sighed. Well there goes my reputation.

Like I cared.

I gave him a blank look before walking passes the kid. Too bad for him today, I was in a bad mood. Ever since Dad had beaten Mum up, we had reported to the police but we can’t do much about it and only get a restraining order on him.  Which was stupid in a sense but at least he’s going to be watched from now on.

Mum is working extra shifts now to get more money and buy ourselves a decent apartment. We wouldn’t want to live off Jase for the rest of our lives and besides, we didn’t want to be freeloaders. So far, everything was going smoothly but it was hard. It was very hard. Mum and I were both messed up, both so emotionally fragile. I didn’t want her to suffer any longer. She’s suffered long enough.

She deserves the best.

As I made my way towards my homeroom and passing so many students who were making such a ruckus in the bloody morning, I felt my phone vibrate inside my pocket so I slid the phone out to check who had texted me. A wry smile framed my face as I read the message Mum had sent me.

Baby don’t forget to go to the appointment today. Don’t skip. Love you.

I sighed and rolled my eyes before pocketing the phone. I guess I can’t haul ass to the pitch today. I was so excited to get back to the pitch after a week or so of inactivity for me. My ribs had healed quite fine and it doesn’t hurt as much. Oh well, doctor’s appointment I guess. If I don’t go, Mum would find out and she doesn’t like it when I bailed.

Damn.

I swear those two women-Mum and the psychiatrist mainly- aren’t on my side at all. It was almost ridiculous when both of these small women ganged up on me. Emily and Mum was scary when they do that hands-on-the-hip gesture. That gesture, hands held akimbo meant business and you wouldn’t want to mess with them.