Chapter 29

Today had been such a whirlwind of dramas enfolding in front of me. Today, I was accepted as another prime member of a band and today, I belonged to a record deal. Today is such an auspicious day. Even though technically, everyone in school felt differently about me. I didn’t care though, if they really want to pity me, then I can’t do anything to change it.

So coming back to the obvious thing, I was now part of a band. How exciting yes?

I had spent the first ten minutes seated across the manager whose name goes by Mr Jones listening to him talk about the contract and what he expects me to do during the time of the contract. I sat there looking at the man wide-eyed, apparently stupefied and overwhelmed at his explanation.

Mr Jones was a burly man, tall and lanky. I knew he was sporting tattoos on almost every part of his body because it was obvious judging from the fact that he owns a record company. And also the fact that he was wearing a polo tee today, his neck, collarbone and arms were all decorated with tattoos.

He was one magnificent man.

‘Well then Ally, I had already explained to you what I expect from you which isn’t much but to do your very best and get along with the rest of the boys because after we introduce their new album, we’d be getting you guys into tour to spread your music around a little,’ he spoke to me.

I nodded without saying a word.

‘I was told by Seth that you wouldn’t want to let people know about your past so I suggest you change your surname to something else so the fans and reporters won’t be able to find you,’ he continued speaking to me and then his eyes cast down to my scarred arm. ‘And you would have to cover that scar if you want your lie to remain intact.’

‘Wait what?’

He looked at me patiently and leaned further down his chair as he waited for me to gather my frayed thoughts. He continued speaking when I stared at him blankly. ‘Get a tattoo or something to cover it up. Because I know you have the tendency to roll up your sleeves,’ he told me.

‘Are you freaking serious?’

‘Do I look like I’m joking to you Ally? I’m just suggesting this to you because a lot of reporters would wonder about a scar but I know they won’t even look twice when you’re sporting a tattoo,’ he answered me quite calmly for someone who looked scary as hell. I think he’s used to dealing with these type of people.

I let out a sigh. Now he wants me to get a freaking tattoo? ‘I think it’s better if I get it after graduation,’ I answered him emotionlessly. ‘When are we supposed to release the new album anyway?’

‘After graduation, so it would be less than three months. But during the period, I will be slowly releasing song after song so the fans and other people will get to know it. I’ll have you guys doing shows to introduce the new songs, upload them on YouTube and things like that,’ he answered me with a slight smile on his face.

‘It’d be hectic then,’ I spoke which he then nodded at me before pushing a piece of paper towards me. I could see the paper filled with lots of words and I had to admire the person who actually wrote the whole thing out. After I had read through the contract, even the fine print, I grasped the pen and scrawled my signature on it.

There, I sold my soul to the devil.

I watched Mr Jones giving me a smile before taking the paper back towards him. I watched him read my signature for a moment before sliding it into his briefcase. After that, he thanked me for signing and wished me luck in future endeavours before leaving me sitting in the meeting room feeling so overwhelmed at the moment.