Chapter 17

All I felt at the moment was simply disappointment and I don’t know I think I was feeling a little betrayed. I was disappointed at Blake because I couldn’t believe that he was that kind of a person to force himself on a girl who was attached. Even when drunk. I felt betrayed because I can’t believe I thought the highest of him and that he would do this to me. Even when drunk.

Now, I just don’t know what to do.

If he loved me, why did he do that to the poor girl?

I sighed and let my tired body rest on the floating platform. I had run all the way towards the jetty which was a few miles away from school. I ran and ran until I couldn’t take it anymore. I found myself standing in front of the lake, breathing like I was having a panic attack and jogged down towards the jetty where I had spent most summers swimming here with Liam and Mitchie.

The lake was seemed to stretch out endlessly, circling around a few hectares of land and I knew there was a jogging path that surrounds it. That jogging path was about 5.6 kilometres in length and it was mostly made out of sand and small pebbles-to make it look all natural. This place is usually used for dragon-boating or canoeing or just a place for us teenagers to hang out.

I had spent almost every day of my waking life here with my friends.

I loved this place. It’s so warm, calming and it makes me feel like as if my problems are chained to entrance. This place is like a sanctuary for me. A no entry for problems or stress. This is a place for fun and laughter.

I stared at the sky, wishing that things were the way it was before I had wished for more drama a few weeks ago. I wished that things were strained between the rugby and the softball team, at least I was still naïve to the things that Blake had done. I let out a huge breath and threw my arms backward so that they supported my head.

Ignorance was truly bliss.

But now I knew. Should I go back and face him again? Or should I just spend the rest of my day here? I knew that I have to face him sooner or later but I think I will do that later. All I need to do right now is sometime alone and to gather my thoughts. And to compose myself before I did something embarrassing again like crying.

I need time to be alone.

I stayed at the pier for a long time.

The sky was beginning to turn into splashes of pink and orange when I heard the familiar rev of the motorcycle engine halting at the entrance of the lake a few metres away. I sighed. Mitchie had finally found me. I was hoping for another person but I knew that he didn’t know this place of mine.

And I was glad for it.

‘Thank god you’re safe,’ I heard him murmur before speaking softly to his phone. I heard him jump down the floating jetty, making it bounce a little as he made his way towards me. I held my breath and waited for him to come closer. He appeared at the edge of my vision to glare down at me.

‘Don’t run away from me like that ever,’ he scolded me with a huge scowl on his face. He ran a hand through his hair and he somehow had aged a couple years older. I frowned at his haggard look. ‘You scared the shit out of me babe, I thought something bad happened to you. I went back to your house, I went to your skating rink, and I went all over. I was so scared babe. Please don’t do that to me.’

I pushed myself upright to look at my exhausted and worried bestfriend. He was still standing there so I tugged him down to sit beside me. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close until I was sitting on his lap. ‘I’m sorry Mitchie,’ I told him quietly as I rested my forehead on his neck. ‘I’m just overwhelmed at the moment.’