Chapter 26

I let out a sigh as I ran a hand through my hair, staring pointedly out the window where I can see the backyard. I was still in the guest room, having locked myself up after the brutal row I just had with Henry and Heather. It seemed that Henry won the fight, he just didn’t want me to leave the house at all.

Despite much to my chagrin and Heather’s horror, Henry told us stiffly that I am allowed to stay in here. Even if I want to leave in the middle of the night, he didn’t care but as long as I remain in this household. He said he wanted a roof over my head and that he wanted to keep an eye on me.

The row started out pretty intense between Heather and Henry.

I had just ended the call from the police officer when I heard them arguing downstairs. I can hear them shouting loudly to each other. My lips stretched to a thin line when I heard them shouting my name back and forth, knowing that it was my fault that they were arguing in the first place.

Pocketing my phone, I left the room swiftly and climbed down the stairs to head towards the kitchen. I passed Seth along the hall where he just shook his head as he climbed up towards his room. He just had a blank expression on his face and he gave me a small shrug before telling me not to intrude.

I didn’t care, it was about me too.

‘Why are you allowing her to live in this place?!’ she screamed at her husband who looked awfully drained and tired, judging from the dark circles beneath his eyes. She had her back to me, her whole body was so taut that she was bent forwards and I could imagine her eyes narrowing in anger.

‘She needs a place to stay and she’s the daughter of my bestfriend! I can’t just let her live alone when she needs someone in her life! I am not going to let her be when I’m her godfather, I lost Linda! I will never forgive myself if I lose her too!’ he bellowed back at her. ‘Why can’t you understand what I’m trying to do?!’

‘I don’t care Henry! I want her out of this house this instant! How dare she treat this place as if she can just bring her friend over? She has intruded too much into our lives!’ she shouted at him. ‘She’s taking over everything!’

I frowned at her words, pondering over what she just screamed out. It was as if she was terrified of me taking over her perfect family’s life, it’s as if I had a way to poison their lives or something.

‘If you want me to leave, I’d be glad to do so,’ I cut in suddenly forcing both of them to turn towards me. Henry looked shocked and his eyes were filled with so much pain in there that I had to tear my gaze away from him. Heather just looked smug for once. I slipped on a blank expression on my face as I stared at them both.

‘Now Pumpkin I wouldn’t want-‘

‘Leave this house!’

I gritted my teeth, feeling my jaw tightening in anger as I tried to push the feeling of pain and rejection away. Forcing myself to look away from the bickering couple that were looking at me with mixed expressions; I bit my lip and pointedly stared at one part of the wall as I willed the tears to go away. ‘Fine,’ I whispered softly, my voice wavering dangerously. ‘I’ll leave.’

‘No, you are staying here and I mean it. And Heather! What the hell is wrong with you? How can you treat her like that? She already had a hard life and she doesn’t need more from you! She didn’t do anything to you; she didn’t do anything to us! Be reasonable!’ Henry exclaimed at her incredulously.

Heather stared at her husband with wide eyes like as if he had gone crazy and that she doesn’t recognize the man that was towering in front of her anymore. ‘You’re siding her now?!’ she shouted at him, her voice had gone shrilly by now and jabbed a finger at my direction. ‘I’m your wife!’