Chapter 7

‘You guys ready?’

‘Are you kidding me? Let’s just get this bullshit over and done with,’ Abby muttered at my questioning. I rolled my eyes at her and led the way towards the field where the rugby boys were already doing their warm ups. I had told them we had to go or face disbandment of our team. That made all of us trudges slowly towards the field.

I can’t believe I’m here.

Sure I was somewhat on friendly terms with Blake but spending time with him and practicing the sport that he loved was not what I expected at all. I knew a little of rugby but it looked painful. All the shoving and tackling without the pads just muscle and bone grinding against the grass was not what I wanted to do.

 Ahh fuck.

I saw all of the rugby boys tackling each other. Dude, I am so not strong enough for this. When I hear the sound of bone against bone, I winced. I’m sure the rest of my team shared the same horror as me. These boys are huge, how the hell would I managed to tackle them I have no idea.

‘Oh there you are softball people, you’re late,’ Blake accused us as we neared the death match that was enfolding right in front of my eyes. His gaze lingered on me a second longer that was necessary before he stared at the rest of the team. ‘Well gather round, see how we tackle.’

We actually wince and let out cries of disgust as we watched them tackle the other to the ground. We were actually becoming the best audiences. The rest of the rugby team just looked at us amused at our reactions. The girls were nervous, I could feel them jittering. I don’t know what will happen to us. Clearly, we can’t beat these guys.

Oh my god who are we kidding?

Henry is crazy for thinking of this idea.

Blake made us do jumping jacks, a series of sets for stamina, another set for strength, another set for our thighs. I don’t know how many we did but this is as strenuous as my own conditioning. By that time, my own team was puffing and breathing heavily. I was too since it’s been a week since I did any conditioning and this cut on my shoulder was irritating me.

I was sweating buckets and had abandoned my softball uniform on the small pile of uniforms at the bench. Blake finally told us to relax and I sank to my knees, wincing at my shoulder. I was wearing a tank top underneath so the cut was visible. It didn’t need any stitching but it was itchy. I was tempted to scratch it.

‘Ally! Don’t you dare touch that scar!’ Abby shrieked at me from the other end of the line. I looked at her innocently. She huffed at me and made her way towards me, her eyes flashing. She placed her hands on her hips which made her look aggressive. She will make a very scary mother in the future.

‘What?’ I asked her innocently. ‘I wasn’t doing anything!’

‘I know that look on you girl! If you touch that, I will personally make your life a living hell!’ she exclaimed at me, jabbing a finger at my direction. ‘It’s going to hurt more if you scratch it and we need you for the upcoming match. We can’t win if you’re injured on that day.’

I stared at her and pouted her words. ‘I wasn’t going to even touch it,’ I mumbled.

‘Aww you know you look cute when you do that,’ Conner cooed at me.

I huffed and curled my arms around my chest, pouting at his words. That made my team even worse. They started making sounds like ‘awww’, like as if they were looking at a cute baby who just laughed or something which made me blush under their cooing. In the end, they were laughing like maniacs even though I was asking them to shut up.