Chapter 28

How can you look at the one man whom you previously thought as your idol in the eye when the only thing he did to you was to beat you down and trample you under his feet? How can you even look at the man who almost killed your own mother? I don’t know how I did that but I stared at him the entire time he pleaded innocence in front of everyone.

He held no remorse in his gaze and there’s no hint of any guilt in his voice as he pleaded for pardon. I had to scoff aloud at his words and shook my head at the absurdity that he had the nerve to actually plead innocence when there is obvious evidence that he had done it. One obvious evidence was the fact that Mum was in a coma right about now thanks to that man.

I had never loathed anyone before in my entire life.

All I felt at the moment when the judge and the jury filed him guilty of all charges, when the police led him away in shackles, was peace. Finally after years of abuse I had to put up with, years of torture I had to endure, that devil of a man is finally going to where he belonged. In fucking jail.

When I finally re-joined the group of boys outside the court, I had a huge smirk plastered on my face as I watched him being manhandled to the police van cursing and shouting that it was still both our faults for making him do that. I was leaning on a wall as I witnessed his meltdown and I felt satisfied that karma has bitch-slapped him in the face.

He deserved it really.

As if knowing I was looking at him, he turned to look and his eyes darken in anger. He struggled against the two police officers who were manhandling him into the van. He jabbed a finger towards my direction and started screaming insults at me. Cursing in Spanish which only I could understand, I just watched him calmly but that even make him more aggravated.

He hurled crude insult after crude insult at me much to the annoyance of everyone else who were there witnessing the meltdown. The two police officers then got bored of hearing him scream started hitting him with the baton and shoved him into the van so hard that he stumbled in it.

I let out a breath and shook my head, running a hand through my hair absentmindedly as I waited for the motley group to arrive. I don’t know what I felt at the moment but I could feel the weight that had been pushing on my shoulders lift and if I could soar then, I would have. That light feeling in my chest spread throughout my whole body, making me smile softly.

Casting my eyes away from the scene, I stared right ahead and pushed a pair of wayfarer glasses that Mitchie had loaned me earlier onto my face when I saw all of the media people swarming around me. Cursing lightly under my breath, I had already told the police that I didn’t want media attention and I think some idiotic reporters got wind of this thus flocking the court.

I could see the cameras clicking insanely around me and the camcorders aiming their focus on me as a mass of reporters squeezed through. I watched the crowd with a slight amused expression on my face. Two or three microphones were thrust forward towards me while more tape recorders were around.

‘What do you feel about your father being sent to jail?’

‘He bloody well deserved it,’ I answered her flatly and rolled my eyes as I shook my head at her stupid question, turning my head slightly to the right as I noticed Mitchie walking towards me with a scowl plastered on his face. Further down from him, I could see the other boys lounging around watching me closely.

‘How is your mother right now? Is she doing well?’

‘Look stay out of my life,’ I told the next reporter and shouldered my way through without another word. I could hear more clicking sounds behind me as I left them by that corner and smirked when I reached Mitchie without a word. He just glared at the throng of reports behind us before wrapping a protective arm around me.