Twenty-Six

Sabrina

Two Weeks Later

Nicki and I walked around a dress store looking for the perfect prom gown. This is all I've been thinking about ever since Chris's big surprise.

I didn't even care about prom but that has changed.

"What color do you guys want to wear?"

"Well I like black....and more black....and more black."

"No Bri! Wear pink or something."

"No, Chris and I agreed on black and that's what we're sticking with."

"You're so boring."

"I know."

"So your 18th birthday will be here soon. What do you want to do?"

"I wanted to go out but you're pregnant so that's out of the question, unless you let Robert go with us since he can get us in any club."

"I won't be that big by your birthday so I'm going."

"Well we're going out then. I can't wait...I'll finally be 18!"

"You're still not grown though so settle down girl."

"Blah blah blah, but I'll be closer to leaving that damn house. That's all I care about."

"Then you're leaving for D.C." She made a sad face. "I'm not cool with you being on the other side of the country by yourself Bri."

"Weeeeellll, I probably won't be on the other side of the country."

"Really?!"

"Yeah, I applied for UCLA and USC and I think I'm going to go with UCLA."

"Oh my gosh! Yesssss Bri! I knew you'd change your mind. What made you change your mind?"

"Umm, Chris."

"Wait so are you doing this for him or for you?"

"For me."

"Are you sure? I understand you really like him but you shouldn't give up your dream for nobody. If you still want to go to D.C then do that. You're gonna regret it in the long run."

"I'm not giving up my dream for him. I just realized that I don't want to be that far away from home just yet. Tiaras not going to Howard anymore so I'll literally be by myself. The more I think about it the more nervous and scared I get."

"I just wanted to make sure. But I'm glad you are staying. Maybe you can do two years here and then go to Howard, just so you can say you experienced it. As bad as I didn't want you to go, I was kind of excited about you branching out. I think that would've been a dope experience for you and I know you wanted your best friend to be there with you but just imagine all of the new people you would've met. Going to UCLA will probably be like being in High School again. Don't push Howard to the side completely Sabrina."

I nodded.

Besides Chris, my family was my main reason why I decided to stay in California. But hearing my sister say that she think should go, has me feeling some type of way.