Chapter 1

DOWN THE AISLES 

It was a dark day. The wind gently stroked my hair as it brushed my rosy cheeks. My hunting boots scratched the uneven grounds, leading me to the black markets. Walking by, the thin trees and bushes swayed with the heavy breeze. The night sky floated with the firm moonlight and the blue-grey clouds. Weak birds chirped as they flew about and dead leaves rolled down the narrow pathway.

                I stuffed my freezing hands into my pockets as I approached the gates, avoiding the authorities whom rummage bags, and even had the consent to steal goods. Through the narrow gap way between the trees, I jumped through making minor scratches. To reassure myself, I securely locked my hands on my leather bag. Approaching the opposite end of the black markets, I walked over to Penny Allen, the herbal lady. There she always knew what to give me.

                I dropped my bag and located my skinned rabbit. "Hello, Miss Evergreen dear.. Let me give you some Wooden Luck."

                Nodding as a response, Penny stepped aside and went through the rusty cabinets, "I know I put those somewhere.." she mumbled.

                Over at the end of the tent, left a mirror with heavy engraved vintage designs on the frame. In the center finding me, staring at my grey eyes which coated with a bit brown, which was a weird mixture. My piercing freckles shone through the glinted part of the mirror. My brunette hair, was under my collarbones, feeling like it hadn't left out as it used to be, when it was shoulder length.

                "Here, Miss Evergreen." Penny said with a toothless smile as she placed the herb on the counter.

                 "Thank you."

                I stuffed the medicine into my bag and jogged back home, hoping Amelia, my younger sister was awake. An arrogant smell came from the house as I stepped in, not even doubting it came from the litter box from the stray cat I supposedly gave her for her last birthday. Pinching the tip of my nose, I found Amelia sitting on one of the old, torn chairs stoking the cat gently, with her scarce ear to ear smiles.

                Giving a dry smile, I placed the herb on the nearest nightstand forcing her to take a t-spoon of water before grinding the herb. The cat meowed and crawled under the bed, where it lazily slept during the days when Amelia wasn't home. Walking to the kitchen, I placed the herb on the counter for her to grind herself, and cure her ache singlehandedly.  Later, I walked to the basement and grabbed my bow and arrow from the dusty cupboards, where authorities would be too careless to look at.

                I whispered my goodbye to Amelia,  walking through the back door, where the asperous grounds began. Lifting my wrist to check what time it was, I realized it was a quarter to four. Albeit it was late, my worries gave way. Anxiety surrounded my mind, trying to prevent my mind being preoccupied by her to start a discourse. Contrarily, finding her whistling with the birds was unexpecting.

                My mother, Esther Lerwick looked at me with her wry smile, "C'mon. We're almost done with the basics Jane."

                "Basics?" I lifted an eyebrow.

                Esther ignored me and walked upon the woods I've become fond of. It took weeks to get over the fright of the forest. Now, it was difficult to think why it was scary. The reek smell, was something that took me months to get over, but that didn't surprise my mother at all. Suddenly, my mother flashed an arm across my stomach, as a sign to stop and listen. It was amazing how she could hear over distances.

                Immediately, hearing the animal silently crawl with pitched thump sounds, alerted my system. Esther turned to me, with her glinted, sharp blue eyes and nodded. I took a step before her as silent as possible. While the animal froze in position, hearing the bushes silently tear through the wind. I raised my bow and grabbed an arrow in my sack, ready to shoot until Esther lifted my arrow up higher.

                "Go," she said almost  inaudibly.

                I let go of my arrow, letting the drift current take the arrow which was speeding down the distances. It finally approached the animal, collapsing to the floor; unconscious. My mouth shaped as a big "o" as we both ran down the forest before any other creature could snatch it away. Successfully, I gripped on the dead rabbit and began to skin it while Esther  cleaned the arrow with her cloth she always carried while hunting. It was a wonder how she always managed to keep her pace the same; like she had all the time in the world.

            We delved throughout the woods, hoping to find more food supply. Esther bent down, reaching for a couple of katniss, hidden under tree trunks. Flapping was heard from above. Simultaneously, we looked up seeing the birds heading south. It was a good sign for food source. Finally, when the creatures landed on a sequoia, I grasped for the hidden honey in the palm of the branches, wrapping it in thick leaves. But really, that wasn't all there. Esther and I climbed up the tree and sat down a branch to find a creature pedaling fast down the woods.

            Ignoring the splinters that conceived on my hands, I reached for an arrow and pulled the bow's string, seeking a tiny glimpse of the brute. This time, I let go without consent from Esther, concertifying the aim at the turkey which languished on the ground. Inspecting behind at Esther, seeing her grinning was a first. Never have I ever thought shooting from vast distances was possible for an ordinary girl like me.