Chapter 2

BELLICOSE OR PASSIVE?

 I clutched my grubby text books to my chest, while Amelia wrapped her hand securely on her shoulder-bag, avoiding puddles. The heavy rain caused many destruction, including our crops. The damp trees dripped from rainfalls, while others collapsed to the ground. The narrow pathway became muddier as ever and the mildew drowned on the wet plants. A cool breeze passed our faces, leading our hairs swaying along the swift wind. Dead leaves began falling on the ground, as if it was its attempt to block our way.

               As we both approached the academy, dirt flew on our faces. Ignoring that my hands were completely numb, I rubbed the dirt off. When we reached the entrance, realizing that one of the doors were slightly crooked was odd. I threw the thought away and started walking on the imperfected tiles. My boots became squeaky-like as I walked throughout the hallways. Amelia waved her goodbye as she headed off to class. I ran up the stairs and looked at my watch. It was a quarter after six. I was almost late until making a run for it was the best choice. 

                I drew near to my classroom, seeking my class in utter silence. Whispers were not to be heard in the class, not even one which was completely odd. Seeking a glimpse of my teacher, she slowly bit on an apple and her glasses tinted while she was reading a document. Arriving to my desk, I tore open my book into a driftless page as thoughts crept over me. The palm of my hand attached to my jaw as I punctured deeply into my mind.

                Why was the class so silent? Usually whispers were heard in the corners, waiting for a punishment to occur at some point. Even I had my mouth completely zipped. Looking around the room, I caught Alistair staring at me then sheepishly turning back to his book. I lifted an eyebrow and pulled to another page, staring at the foreign words that were absolutely impossible to read. Sighing, tingles went all over me as I felt my teacher's stare rip open my skull. Blushing deeply, my focuses were deeply cored to my book. Frankly, I stared at the blank spaces and clicked my tongue silently.

                Less than an hour later, the bell rang for mining. Most students made a bee-line to the cropland, while I sauntered slowly down the stairs. The cold climate met my featured skin as I approached the back entrance. Meeting Amelia by the steps, I started jumping from cargo to cargo, avoiding the staffs. Even though they weren't looking, releasing a smirk was something I couldn't bare holding all day. Amelia walked beside me, on the ground looking at me with an abysmal stare. It was something that suited her expressions.

                "The eminences are coming," she muttered.

                I held my arms up in the air and managed to balance through the thin freights. Nodding as a response, I let out a deep, heaved sigh. I jumped off the cargo and landed with a quiet 'thump' on the uneven grounds. Amelia grabbed two rusty shovels, handing one to me.  Thanking her, we both moved further, next to the bins, where staffs would least look. We both started puncturing the dirt, as it was almost on its verge of cracking.

                "Been using the herbs yet?"

                She dug heavier into the ground. "Yes." 

                "How's your bruise though?" I inquired, glancing at the painful bruise on the top of her elbow.

                Amelia nodded as a response, ignoring my question. It began raining again, luckily a roof covered our place, keeping it plenty of dry. Pitiness wriggled over me when I browsed throughout the field, seeing the others damp and less than adequate amounts of clothing. Cutting away from my thoughts, my hole managed to crack. The rain pelted against the grounds, making it more dewy from the far fields. Amelia had a hard time digging, continuing to poke the hard ground. 

                It was a sign. With my bare hands, digging and discovering through the dirt, a piece of gold was shining before my very eyes. Little did I know, hitting a gold nugget was the least expecting. A soft breeze passed me. Under a split second, my eyes landed on a staff, gazing at the gold nugget. Even with her pale, flawless skin, the female dug until she lifted the gold nugget grinning a stupid ear to ear smile. It was a total distraught doing a piece of labor that was just rueful.

                Shivers shackled down my spine as someone drew near me. A hot breath reached my shoulder, as blood cringed through my veins. At some point, I turned to the ordinary air. Furrowing my eyebrows, I slowly compounded the stew and the fillet.

                "You know, you should bustle with the stew. I'm extravagantly famishing."

                Tingles speeded throughout my system. Looking aback, I saw a stranger smirking and leaning against the wall. How could the male just barge in without consent? Collapsing my thoughts away, the man dressed in a fine black suit and his hair was neatly combed. Doubtingly, he was not a thief. It was futile, thieves or robbers were homeless! Digging deeper to my thoughts, I realized that he might be an eminence? Most likely.

                If it's him who wants to start a conversation, then let it be. If the male is an eminence then I'll just be affirm with the guy. If the man's an ass, then I'll accept the fact. It's practically pointless to argue with the man, unless if anyone wants execution to obtain on their own hands. I ignored the fact that he just stood there and began continuing with the stew. Collecting the honey from the porcelain bowl, I dumped portions into the pot.

                "Don't avoid the fact that I'm standing here, Miss Evergreen."

                In fact, I continued not even releasing a word from my mouth. Furthermore, his seductive voice wasn't even proposing to work on me. I mean, if that's what the man thinks. I grabbed a razor sharp knife, debating whether or not to kill the man. He's an eminence, so why care? Gradually, I began letting the choice go and began chopping the carrots in thin slices and dumped it into the soup.

                The male left out a deep sigh, almost tolerable to get me ticked off. "Exceptionally from my basis.."

                 "Go ahead. Abide."

                I turned to see the man wearing a wry smile. He stared at his gadget and then to my intimidating impression. "Let's start with an introduction."

"I'm Auden Hawthorne."

                My heart leapt out of my chest as I began to drop utensil into the pot. Drops of burning hot soup spilled on my shirt, causing myself to affluence in pain. Goosebumps advanced up my arm as memories trickled down my mind. For once in my life, I've heard of that name and it was a complete tragic experience. There was a pact made and I will compensate it.  If failure drifts into life, then grant it be.

                Finally, I began to breathe evenly while animus filled my eyes. "And I'm Jane Evergreen."