Chapter 3

CONTIGUOUS

It was truly a hectic day.

            I pulled drags of my hair behind my ear and began jogging throughout the woods. Esther followed behind me, raising her knife up in case if the contemptible critter would expose itself in any minute. I raised my arrow pulling its tight string, hearing the rasping sounds it made. Esther let out a deep groan and threw the dagger at the animal which was from a forty-five meter radius. She ran off to skin the animal as I ran off further into the woods waiting patiently for a prey to come visit. Slightly leaning forward and crouching behind bushes, I held my sleek bow from preventing it to scratch the ground.

                It was a difficult position, enough for me to tumble and hit my back on a rigid tree. When I heard brushing, my eyes set right on top of the bushes, waiting for me to raise my bow. I stuffed the arrow on the string and held it firmly and waited for the rabbit to stay in position, alert for assistance. When the time came, I let the arrow go. It was more of a slow motion thing. The animal was quick enough to almost dodge the weapon. An applause was heard behind me, assuming it was Esther, I turned around to see her leaning against the tree holding a sack I was guessing the dead animal might be.

                Esther lifted an eyebrow. "Looks like you don't need discipline this time."

                Thank god for that. It was absolutely irresponsible for I to forget to meet at the woods, even when it was daily. Breaking from my thoughts, Esther slightly nipped on her nail and threw the sack to me. I lifted my shirt up and hooked the sack onto my belt, remembering that I received an applause. Quite of an applause that was even scarce or wasn't ever returned and the applause happened to be me, shooting an animal that I had forgot in such a short time. How careless of me. I looked further upon the woods, seeing a predator carrying their food supply that was meant for Amelia and I.

                For my stupid mistake, I blew wisps of my hair off my face and watched Esther as she wore her poker face. The swift current pulled weeps of wind past my face. Shuddering, I glanced at Esther who was not affected by the climate, which was slightly disappointing. Sometimes I wondered how she got adapted to the climate; blush never formed on her cheeks. Infinitely, her cheeks were pale as her featured skin which was defined as abnormal. Looking apart and at the grey clouds, it forewarned me to pick up all the supplies I left out. Pretty soon, the rain met her fair skin, setting unwanted tingles throughout her system.

                I read it all over her expression and how the first time I've seen her shiver. "Bye, Jane."

                Esther walked in the opposite direction as the rain painfully stung her skin. I whispered my goodbye and picked up at the weapons that were left behind. Reaching the back door, I carried my key and stuck it into the essence of the knob, twisting it open. The house was utterly silent. The faucet was leaking and the foggy climate shone through the window. The smell of Brown; our stray cat's litter box was gone. Frankly, I didn't even remember the last time it was being washed. In the kitchen, the litter box was posted on the ground and I could hear Amelia whispering things to Brown. I turned away and left my bow and arrow sack in the basement and tossed the skinned animal into stew.

                I took a quick shower and grinded the herbs for Amelia. I boiled water and tossed the herbs in. Once the medicine boiled, I poured it on a mug adding a hint of brown sugar preventing the metallic taste. Steam arose from the cup as I held it to the room, seeing Amelia stroke Brown gently. Placing the hot mug on the table, her eyes laid on me and quickly looked away, muttering a thank you. Returning a grin, I turned to head out the door until Amelia pronounced a soft mutter.

                "Jane, I-"

                Amelia chewed on her lip, looking as if she was debating whether or not to tell me.

                "What?"

                She still wore her worried look on her face, responsible for the distraction that was killing my curiosity. Brown leapt out of her lap and let out a soft meow, leaving Amelia in her uncomfortable position. I turned halfway glancing at Amelia who knitted her eyebrows cursing herself for doing something that was certainly an unfortunate luck, it showed all over her expression.  My whole face washed with curiosity. There was no stopping her trying to announce whatever she was trying to. Amelia tried easing her mood, but just left out with a sigh.

                "-I need to tell you..."

                She paused which hollowed my eagerness. Amelia avoided my gaze which was a sign of something highly crucial. It was something that would almost be impossible to  fix out her mouth. Not even blaming her, I began walking towards the kitchen and added some ingredients into the stew, cursing myself into my brief imagination; wondering what Amelia was trying to say. Maybe it was contiguous or  maybe even remote.