Chapter 20

THE VIOLIN MELODY

The moment I stepped out of the keeper's room, I was truly devastated. Auden wasn't the one who dragged me out of the room, I did.

                My tears swooned on the floor. Internally, my heart was cracking so hard, I couldn't even breathe. I grabbed a layer of the rough hem and wiped my tears. I held my breath for a moment and without a second hesitation gasped for air. I couldn't do it. Amelia was just.. she would be isolated.. But I just didn't want to care about anything for a moment.

                Just as then, Auden squeezed my hand. "Wait, I need to show you something."

                Before I could even refuse, he tightly gripped on my hand and ran to confusing corridors until we reached on a different door for once. My head tilted up high to stare at the vintage engravings that were absolutely breathtaking. I lifted up a hand to wipe my tears and stepped inside when Auden turned the knob. The room had not been how I imagined it to be.

                I imaged it to be covered in some layer of gold. Yet, it was an unfinished room that had only cement covered on the ceiling, the walls, the floor. And two wooden chairs in the center of light, one in particular had a violin.

                Auden gracefully grabbed my hand and led me to a seat, while he sat on the other holding the violin. In between sniffles and coughs I asked, "You play the violin?"

                "No," he said, "the viola."

                I nodded in understanding and waited until he touched the bow with the string. At first, things just sounded rubbish until the bow hit the third string, allowing a quick approach to make me stare at him play then just cry. The melody covered for one another, admitting an astonishing acknowledgement. Then in a few, a couple of other artists began to play in the darkness, on the point of the light hitting them too.

                Each note from just the viola made my heart flutter for the first time as a tear withdrew from my eye. I quickly wiped it and smiled at Auden as he played, ignoring the others who did a pleasant job. I sniffed and smiled as I watched his head move as he apprehended each note. Somewhere inside of me made my heart ache still, not able to modify my side.

                When Auden hit the last note, the other players collected their instruments and drifted away. But somewhere in my system I knew that I still didn't accomplish something.

                Auden delicately cupped my face as I blinked back my tears, I was desperate for his soft, tender kiss. Though it didn't define me-- love was nowhere near my height. Even I knew somewhere in my soul, that I never deserved the loss nor anything unreal. Somewhere in my system that I wished that I've never come inside this palace. I always knew that my asperous heart was an item.

                Like the most weakest diamond in the world. "Say something," he muttered.

                "I---"

                He kissed me gently but until I responded, Auden began brushing my lips roughly. I finally navigated his soft hair and pulled on it as I leaned in for another. Each response made my heart flutter but right---almost--- in the core of my mind I knew that I didn't ever deserve any of this. I knew eventually that there was nothing left in my vacant heart, not at least a tiny bit of sympathy.

                Reclining, I let my chair fall and sat on Auden, stroking his hair for each tender kiss I've received. I smelled his spearmint breath and his intoxicated cologne. It was too good to be true. Yet the opportunity was too fine.

                In between kisses, Auden said, "Say it."

                I reached out for a huff of air, "Say what?" I inquired.

                Auden crushed me on the nearby wall and began kissing my neck, compelling me to let out a moan. Satisfied, he began biting my lip again.

                "Say you will," he said under his breath, "say you love me."

                He began sucking me on my neck again. "Auden, I----"

                The simple three words somehow rolled off my tongue so easily. "I... I love you."

                I could sense him smirking while he brushed my lips again and carried me, one arm on my waist and another on my legs. 

                            "Will you promise, you'll never run again?"

                I swallowed and kind of regretted the word I spilled even though I knew that it would only turn into a horrible, massive lie.

                "I promise." Auden smiled and kissed me on my lips hungrily.

 I yawned as I felt something warm on my belly. Opening my eye, I realized that it was Auden's hand. I smiled and ruffled his hair, pulling the covers.

                "Hey lovely." Auden's arms snaked on my waist as he pulled me down again, kissing my neck. Laughing, I playfully pushed him away, "You guys do have spare clothes.. right?", I said, glancing at my ripped clothes on the floor.

                When I glanced back at Auden, he rummaged through the closet and tossed me a romper itself this time. With my bare hands, I combed my hair neatly after I slipped the patterened romper. Before I could help myself, Auden held my hand and ran through the hallways and stairs, out the entrance.

                Furrowing my eyebrows and panting, I asked, "Where are we going?"

                "Somewhere," Auden answered vaguely.

                In less than fifteen minutes we approached deep into the forest and into a beautiful, tropical field whereas stood a lake that had the sky reflecting upon. We both settled down on the ground as we watched the blue sky ease into an orange and purple maybe even a red color mix together. It was the most beautiful sunset imaginable, more than any of what I've witnessed.

                Breathing in the fragrance of flowers, I leaned on Auden's shoulder as he wrapped his arm around my waist.

                Auden stared at me for a moment, making me blush a hideous shade of red. His eyes were the bluest shade of the ocean, his hair was a lock of softness and I never got tired of his same scent. It only made me smiled.

                "You're bizarre, you know that?"

                Raising a eyebrow, I replied, "Is that supposed to be a compliment?"

                He turned back to the sunset and squeezed me harder on the point of me grinning as if I held the most precious item I've ever did. It was affection nor any love interest but just letting my dilemma go.

                I could breathe until a cool breeze could pass down my throat for the first time. 

                "Guess you're exceptional," Auden said smiling.