Chapter 13

KNOCKING ON HEAVEN'S DOOR

A MONTH LATER

I yawned and looked at Amelia beside me. Stroking her hair as she held Brown, I got up with a silent thud and began to chop some onions in the kitchen. It's been a few days since I had such a sense of energy. I had a bit of cramps but I gained some parts of my memory back, understanding why fainting was my top priority. Although it was a non-intelligent move, I still blame her for what she had done.

                There was never a logical reasoning and I've never seen her but that only once; excluding the meeting. I bit back from my thoughts and realized my finger bled from not giving any concentration with the knife. Walking to the bathroom, I grabbed an antibiotic and spilled some on my finger as I hissed in pain. I wrapped the cloth and began to broil the onions. After, I placed it into a pot of boiling water and added a hint of ginger into the soup.

                Picking a spoon to taste the soup, I smiled of satisfaction. On the way to the kitchen, Amelia rubbed her eyes and stared at me; walking her way to the bathroom. After for about fifteen minutes, she walked out spotless and sat on one of the dining chairs. I poured the soup into a bowl and felt its intense heat, using gloves and endured to bring it to Amelia without spilling anything.

                "Thank you." She muttered.

                I placed a cloth under the pot on the dining table if she wanted anymore. Strolling into the basement, I grabbed a bow and arrow while a tear strolled down my face. I've purposely forgot about Esther since I've become stronger than ever from just a tiny pill of steroids. Contrarily, there was never a misunderstanding. Crouching, I've been thinking if it was ever the best idea I've ever came up with, whether or not.

                It was the twenty-eight of August and there was a reason why it had been a month or two since I've joined Esther with her journeys throughout the woods. When I had been feeling weak, I've been forgetting about her because of my foggy memory and later on I would remember. Every single day, avoiding Esther became a massive regret. But today, I have proposed on joining her with the adventures in the woods became twenty eight was my lucky number.

                While I took off into the woods, managing to not be found by the officials, it took me a while to be fond of the woods. A quick shiver went through my system when the cold air nipped my skin. My eyes captured the glance of the sequoia. My hands felt the texture of the auburn tree whereas my daggers were usually placed, I grabbed one and flipped it into my belt.

                I found Esther sitting on the tree trunk as she wiped her tears. I quickly ran up to her and gave her a hug. Esther was the first one to let go and began to lecturing me with her pure anguish. "Where were you?! I was afraid that you gave up the concept of endeavor!"

                "I'm sorry.."

                Esther wiped her tears when I handed her my handkerchief. Smiling, she pretended to forget about the whole scene. Her blue eyes focused on the sun at where it was shining most at and began following the hot trail. My hand groped tightly on the bow. With my free hand, I massaged my cramp on my lower leg and began jogging; following Esther's pace.

                I grinned as if I were knocking on heaven's door. "There."

                Following my order, I grabbed an arrow and kicked up a stick; catching it with my free hand and threw it at the deer. It almost glanced at us, but we managed to hide behind the bush. Only with my eyes and hand that held my beloveds, I placed the arrow anteriorly the string and let go; enduring to hit the minor on its body.

                Esther glanced at me, with her wet lashes. "Now what do we do with the deer?"

I grasped on my bag and heaved a sigh. Singlehandedly, I grabbed my rubber band from my wrist and began to tie my hair into a tousled bun. Satisfied, I simultaneously walked with Amelia as she finally walked out of the engraved arch. We reached the narrow pathway as the hot sun began to irritate me. Taking off my hunting jacket, I held it on my right arm and let the sun's delicate rays tickle my skin.

                Alistair was walking down, before us. He seemed to be coming towards us. I tossed the keys from my khaki pants and tossed it to Amelia. The familiar ringing sound admitted when she caught it without a second hesitation.  As she walked away, I caught up with Alistair, wondering what he was doing out here. His green eyes captured my agitation when he flew passed a tree.

                "Who are you?" I ask, inquisitive of his presence when I first joined Auden at his house.

                Alistair sighed. "I'm your step cousin."

                My eyebrows furrowed, not understanding. From what I've heard was only that all of my family died because of not fed--- by consent---from the district. But a step cousin? There were never any aunts or uncles I've heard of divorced nor remarrying. Again, because they were all dead. Now, he proved me wrong. It didn't mean that he was exactly telling the truth, but somewhere in his features explained otherwise.

                "What were you doing at Auden's house?"

                Alistair didn't seem to catch my question until his eyebrows locked into its formal position except for that furrowing. He rubbed his nose slightly and began to sneeze. Then, I realized that the weather had suddenly changed which wasn't surprising. The sky was in all forms of grey, while the clouds were an appearance of the most ugliest shade of white.

                The wind flew passed us, as I decided to put my jacket on. Alistair settled on his answer and heaved a sigh. His hand put down into his normal position.

                "I'm afraid I can't tell you of this situation."