Chapter 15

FIRM AS TITANIUM

Amelia left the room in a brief notice. Once the door snapped shut, my eyes landed on the clear window with its hinges. I managed to open it as the wind flew into my face. My stomach flipped, but the exterior surroundings comforted my in some way. As one heavy wind blew in, shivers shackled down my spine. I settled on closing the window and tucking myself on the loveseat beside me. I rubbed both of my arms and held a hand on my stomach, trying not to barf.

                I closed my eyes and exhaled deeply as my hunting boots scratched the ground. I hummed the tone of a random song and ran my fingers on my lap. Tired, I landed my head on the seat. In about a few minutes, the door opened. I instantly recognized the accustomed figure and instantly smiled as my eyes began to fill with a hamper load of tears. My head rested on his chest.

                "I missed you Ari.."

                He let out a soft chuckle. "Me too."

                Each tear fell to the ground, drip by drip. I hit my back against the wall and rubbed against the wall until my bottom met the ground as Ari sat beside me.  I stuffed the notebook back in my boot and looked what was before me.

                Although it was nothing but that plain white wall, I could see each fragment of Ari's presence. I could still remember that day when Ari was in the forest with me. Ari didn't die or run. He came back. But what about father? His remains were still plastered on the top shelf of the basement and none of Esther's. There was nothing. The basement had nothing that showed any of her items. It couldn't just be a coincidence.

                I was fourteen at the time.

                "Jane, I have something to show you!" Amelia called.

                I sighed and pulled back from my desk and put on a fake smile so she wouldn't cry. She held one of her freaky dolls in front of me as I grabbed it but not too vigorously. She began combing her brunette doll while I grabbed a grubby brush and imitated her. The door clicked open as we simultaneously looked behind us to see dad.

                He had his brunette hair pulled back and wore a dirty polo along with a pair of khakis. We could both tell that he just came back from mining. Amelia smiled and ran up to him, throwing a free hug. Dad sighed and pointed out his finger which was getting incredibly annoying.

                "I'm dirty Amelia. Now, go wash yourself."

                She sighed. "But daddy-"

                Dad gave a disapproving look when Amelia walked out of the room, heaving a sigh. He settled himself on a loveseat while I threw the doll and placed the brush back on the floor. Dad rolled his eyes and reached in his pocket for something. Once he pulled the item out, my eyes widened.

                "A blue sapphire, don't tell the district."

                My mouth formed a big 'o'. "How'd you-"

                Dad glanced at the shining item. "One of those pesky eminences dropped it from their pocket."

                I didn't really pay attention to any of his say but he threw that item as I successfully caught it. I stuffed it in my pocket as he began to walk out of the room. It took a few minutes to pick up my pace. Bored, I walked into the kitchen, but stopped when I heard silent yelling.

                "That's different."

                "Oh yeah? What?"

                "You can't."

                I heard a heaved sigh which I distinguished as dad's. "We need food Esther! For Pete's sake we need this from the district.

                When Amelia's loud footsteps pounded on the floor, I realized that these were one of those social conversations. There was never a point of eavesdropping.

                After father ran away, Esther began hunting. But she was alone until I volunteered to, giving her easy heads up. But that didn't get rid of my unwanted thoughts. I wiped my eyes and sniffled my snot, allowing the goose bumps trail up my arm; trying to convince myself that nothing bad was happening. But it was just that dilemma of mines that I utterly hate.

                "Where were you?" I looked up to those familiar blue eyes and that familiar tone.

                Ari lost contact with my eye. "I think it's best if you don't know."

                I wiped every tear and glanced beside me. There had to be a logical reason of why he decided to run. I mean.. Ari would never run. I was his best friend for Pete's sake! Never have I ever thought that he would become different. I would nevermore think that he would think of me as an outcast. It was really a different situation there, but somewhere in my gut hollered that it was my father that told him to shut his mouth.

                "But-"

                The door slammed open as Ari shut my mouth and carried me into the closet. Luckily he closed it, leaving the door a little open- before the person who came in would see us. But I didn't understand what he would be hiding from. Ari peeked from the tiny gap where the hinges exposed. From my position, I could see an unfamiliar man with a dirty polo and pair of worn out hunting boots. He vigorously opened the door into the closet, but Ari pushed me into the wall behind me, where all the nursing clothing could hide me from my position.

                But my back hurt like hell.