Chapter 4 (Part 2)

THE ANTIQUE BURDEN: PART TWO

Auden put on his reading glasses and started flipping pages in a law book, while she was signing papers roughly.

                A turn of the door knob was heard. My eyes immediately landed on a petite fourteen-year-old female who snuck a shy glance. Amelia. I threw a scowl at Auden and ran up to Amelia. Auden gave her the consent to take a seat, which was eventually beside me. She still wore the same faded white collared shirt in the morning and her khaki trousers. Her ponytail was a bit messy, while her skin on her face was lightly covered in dust. Amelia's blue eyes held with fear as I felt her lightly shaking. The eminences wouldn't try abusing her.

                My hand went to her face, wiping all the dust that was covering her face gently as tears strolled down her face. I hugged her to my chest as I glared at Auden who was pretending to glance at the dirty record of mines. "What did you do?" I hissed.

                The female finally let out a word. "We will give you a brief moment to discuss this privately."

                Before I could respond or throw bawls, both disappeared out the door. "I- I'm sorry."

                "For what?" I managed. "The other day, I tried to t-tell you. A-about how t-they t-threatened me." She paused for a brief moment. "I tried to not tell about y-you and m-mom, but they threatened m-me by trying to k-kill Brown."

                Evil it may sound, but that was a flaw that I really hated about my sister. The care she gave for animals were irritating, the meals I would serve her from the forest is impossible to feed her. She wouldn't even touch her food unless I threatened to throw Brown out the door. The knob turned and this time, I only saw Auden with his clipboard and the record without the scary lady. Frankly, I wouldn't blame her at all but forgiving her is an impossible task. It's not as if I'm too stubborn to give her forgiveness, it's that she would never take it. Cutting aback from my thoughts, Auden's scribbling distracted me. "What did you do?" I repeated just before he ditched me from the door.

                This time he actually responded. "Look, I already knew and your mother asked for it."

                "Asked for what?" I flashed.

                My mood flipped, now he was just lying. Esther would've never asked for favors. Especially from a greedy eminence. My eyes turned on Auden who was now in his serious face, it didn't look as if he was turning for a lie. Deep inside, I knew he wasn't lying. My dilemma was turning upside down to right side up. I drew out a light sigh and leaned back on my chair, noticing that I was grasping Amelia by her forearm. I let go, surprised what I did.

                "Proof was all I needed, and that my dear is something that I have to keep a secret." He resumed before I could bawl at him furthermore, "Look, that hunting spree that you do is rebellious and wasn't ever notified by the keeper." 

                Of course there was a reason scheming the house. Auden wouldn't just spare his delicate time on just looking over some peasant's shelter. But, it wasn't possible. The officials never dared to glance or touch the woods. In fact, they never were near the woods. Did he send someone to stalk us? I bit my lip and had to notify this to Esther. If Auden found a way to stop from going to the forest and throw a claim to go to juvey, I swear I would do anything to let out his abominable ways.

               "Why not?" I deadpanned.

                He smirked. "Do you want me to?"

                Did I?

                Why ask a stupid question when knowing what the outcome would be? Amelia grasped on my forearm claiming her true fears. There was no way I would let those rascals take Amelia nor I. Frankly, I didn't want to spend the rest of my life in juvey, while she goes in the worst foster care. And also Esther she would just be staring at tree trunks, sitting; isolated on a rock and vanishing while she could. I don't know why but I just get the thought . My consciousness led me to thinking: Why does he even care?

                Auden's hands neatly folded on the desk as he began to bargain. "Let's make a deal."

               "A deal?"

                A deal for what? He probably told the keeper and led him to lock all the gates securely unless to not trespass the woods. That would make Esther even more isolated. My mind briskly flew passed my thoughts. My eyebrows furrowed, there wasn't anything else illegal that I was doing; exceptionally from the fact that I had to smuggle a few herbs from the black markets; deliberately because it was an emergency.

                He nodded, "If you want the keeper to obtain your little secret."

               Amelia let out a soft squeal of fright. As I glanced over at Auden, he never took a single glance at Amelia. The dim lights flickered, sending me a burden of goose bumps down my leg. I bit my lip. The deal was meant to be ambitious. Right? I grit my lip hoping that my mouth wouldn't lead to the wrong pathway. Auden's mood slightened down a bit.            

               "Help me hunt." Auden let out a sheepish grin.

                Pardon me? "Hunt?"

                Auden gave me a bored look. "Would you or not?" Why in the world would he ask whether to hunt or not? He had the best sea foods out of the whole country and countless meals he could take. It was also rebellious for an eminence to ask a favor or task from a commoner, but taking the risk of let out a word can lead to vast, unwanted situations. I took a brief glance at Amelia who looked up at me with her bright blue eyes.  There was no way I was going to let the keeper to ascertain it.

                "Fine."

                A hint of regret clasped in my throat as I spoke that one word.