Chapter 14

ANTIQUITY ENGRAVED

It hadn't been this day until I started remembering everything again. Still conscious, I composed of being reminded of what came out of Esther's mouth since the day I've see her. I still remembered that moment when she died. Those vast amounts of dense memories never made sense. I've never questioned myself how my sight of her still remained in the woods. No physical nor verbal explanation of how she felt so genuine in presence. I never felt abnormal until questioning myself aroused.

                My finger traced the rigid edges of the desk. When I looked out the foggy window, one of my legs tucked under one another. I held my left forearm and blinked back tears. Ever since Esther's death, the last or only aspect that was left to accompany me were my tears. I mean my own father ran away when everything was just being the start. If it weren't for his rebellious act, then Esther probably wouldn't have died. Even it had been only a year ago, but I still didn't know what was that hidden reason why.

                "Amelia is put to an injection."

                I muttered an inaudible response without glancing as the man shut the door. My fingers landed on the foggy window as I trailed a picture of father. Tears covered my eyes when everything became ambiguous again. I still recognized that birthmark by his ear and his hazel-green eyes. I still remembered how he used to take me to the same forest as Esther and taught me how to climb a tree. I cited that day when he taught me a song that wasn't ever bound to be heard from this anonymous territory.

                The door creaked open.

                "She is unconscious at this hour."

                Clenching my fist, my thoughts slowly drifted away as I turned to glance at the doctor or rather nurse. The door already slammed shut. I guess I couldn't blame the man since I've requested for him to list every single and minor thing that would happen to Amelia. It was all my fault.. I wish that I could just say that I didn't know better. But I did know better. Ignoring every detail that Adolf listed from his uncivilized tongue was putting the blame on him, which would really   make me sound sinful.

                He knew that I was under some illness and he also knew that being fed by the district was a critical issue. There was never the best food, but even for every regulation listed, food was never adequate. But being fed by the district for the so-called "extras" would let Amelia be put into their entertainment. NEVERTHELESS, I never ever heard of this game. It was never showed in public. It was this dazed game that led my father running away and maybe my mother. I never was ever notified of such major affairs. The door once creaked open again.

                "I-"

                I turned around with a brief notice. "I know."

                The female with pale skin stood before me with wisps of blonde hair that was in a messy braid. Her collared shirt was speckled with all types of dirt and her skirt showed her featured skin that exposed unwanted smudges. She wore her old sneakers and an oversized jacket that covered her back surroundings of her body. The blonde's blue eyes were filled with tears and all sorts of emotions hidden. But when she ran up to me and hugged my back, her tears began pouring when she began sniffling.

                My hand traced Amelia's blonde hair as I began patting her back to lower her volume.

                "What happened?"

                She shook her head as a response and sat at my former seat. I reached in my pocket for a handkerchief and threw it as the cloth landed on her lap. Her piercing eyes once glanced at me and turned back at the rain that poured out of the window.  Amelia picked the cloth and started to trace every drop of tear that landed on her cheeks. I smiled, not because of her anguish but for her bravery. I could act as tribute for whatever this adventure because it's possible.

                My grin disappeared when I remembered that journal that my father carried every day since I've last seen the man. It all made sense but the time was never a question. It really sounded as if he were writing as for the future or rather in the future. My hand fiddled in my boot as I grabbed a grubby but miniature notebook. I only found it in the time of the woods where I hid my daggers. My eyes fiddled with the foreign words.

                There was nevermore any regret I had received since the day I ran. Every detailed adventure was something that I could capture within my sight and once prove to Esther that I wasn't just an apathetic. It was truly pathetic that I had engaged with one of the least encountered females.

                She created a privilege from the district and admitted her rich affection to me, but I, John Evergreen am not one who engaged of love but for pity. Something that I could say that was filled with all sorts of different impressions from these contestants.

                Nevertheless, my last word before I really run or rather die would be something that couldn't bare much attention; commencing or hindmost.

                JOHN EVERGREEN