Chapter 8

THE RAPACIOUS TERRITORY

Adolf came back with a sack of katniss, while Sia held daggers, successfully hitting on the means of a rock. Auden went somewhere we never suspected him of, as the climate began to act humid. Sweat began to form on my forehead when the weather's intensity flashed on my face. I tossed my long-sleeve off, leave me only with a tee. We began jogging the woods which became more known. 

                I held my bow and tossed on my sack filled with arrows. A contemptible critter appeared in my sight as I gestured Adolf to crouch on the ground, behind the bush. But based on his height, I had to make him sit next to a tree. I wiped the sweat forming on my forehead and grabbed an arrow from my arrow sack; accidentally touching the sharp format, managing a cut. Oh dear.

                "Here," Adolf said, handing me a bandage.

                I thanked him and said, "You haven't aimed, mind if you give a shot?"

                He shrugged as I handed him my bow and tossed an arrow. Adolf admitted that he had been watching me shoot a couple of arrows, which kind of made me happy. But another part of me wanted to know where Auden was. As Adolf went on position, he slid an arrow before the string and picked up a rock. Depending on how he was holding, blinded me; which led to a bigger cause. 

                The rock hit the oversized deer and it caught contact with us beings, as it charged against us. We were practically running for our lives! I snatched the bow and endured the arrow; pushing Adolf to the side. I panicked, waving the arrow and bow, shooting it right at the deer. But it didn't have any effect, so I quickly tossed another arrow, killing the dying deer. I panted really fast, almost fainting of my life. 

                "Sorry." Adolf sheepishly said.

                I forgave him, making him promise me that he'd never ever use a bow again. "Let's head back and find the others."

                Tugging on my watch, I saw that it was a quarter passed six. I felt that I forgot something or was even late for something; clearly remembering that I got Amelia the herbs from the black markets and even fed her it. Shrugging at the thought, we eventually headed back as the two began starting a fire. I finally noticed how drift the current was. We sat on the naked ground and began warming up by the fire. 

                "So Thorny, where have you been?"

                Auden threw back an irritated mutter. "Don't call me that."

                The current became to be more windier by the moment, causing the fire to fall into ashes. My brunette hair fell back with the deep breeze as the two began to start a social conversation, while Esther and I just sat there; in utter silence. Because of the noisy weather, I managed to hum without anyone noticing.My palm stuck to the jaw of mines and my elbow poked on the edge of my knee. Grabbing my long-sleeve and jacket, I slid them on; enduring the weather. My mind resumed to reality whereas the complaints just kept on getting louder.

                Adolf pretended to think about it by tapping on his chin and finally settled on: "Nah."

                Auden flushed for a split second," You little-"

                My eyes glued on Auden as he became more irritated by the minute; how Adolf kept teasing him. After a few minutes later of Adolf's ridiculous  and agreeable comebacks, my stomach gave a light growl causing me nip on edible leaves. After the three decided the split, I settled on climbing on one of a further tree's branch; meeting Sia. It was a surprise, but before I intruded, she asked me to stay.

                "Jane, is it?"

                I nodded. "You must be seventeen."

                I shook my head lightly and gave a temporary glance at Sia, who looked to be twenty and one of the keeper's assistants. "No, eighteen. And you?"

                "Twenty-one," she said, "Adolf is nineteen while Auden in the other hand, is twenty."

                The ages: eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty-one? It was ironic really, from ages in order. For some sort, I felt weird butterflies in my stomach which made me feel sick to my stomach. It wasn't because I was nervous that Sia was here or the ages, it was that someone that I knew was missing; someone that I couldn't comprehend at all. My mind was really fuzzy at the moment. Sia threw me a berry and I took a bit out, not caring whether or not it was gross. I was that hungry.

                Sia took a brief look and turned to watch the birds zoom. "You have features similar like your mother, Esther."

                The butterflies in my stomach became a wreck, if it weren't for my stupid mind. I broke the pact two times.