Chapter 16

LITTORAL

Once the man finally absconded with a hint of a loud curse. Ari reached out his hand for me to pick up, I weakly placed my hand up to his, but couldn't quite see his face because of all the items that were covering. Ari carried me to the loveseat as I saw him give me an apologetic look. I pointed at the antibiotic on the nightstand and he grabbed it without a second hesitation. He twisted off the cap with one cap and pushed me on the couch, upside down. Even though the male was my best friend, I really felt uncomfortable of him to lift up my shirt even though I was wearing a bra.

                Ari began to reveal the true antibiotic on my back as I began to hiss in pain. It felt as if a brick were weighing me down. I heard him toss the medicine on the desk when I opened my eyes and pulled my shirt back down. My back began to heal slowly but my head landed back on the loveseat. Thank god, I landed on a soft surface. I really felt lightheaded. Ever since the day I severely hurt my head in the woods. That caused me to have a brief migraine. Not a so-fun experience. My hand  slowly hovered on my forehead.

                Barely conscious, I spoke. "So who was that man?"

                "You seriously don't recognize him? Wow it's been so many years already."

                I agilely held up my fingers without taking a glance and counted the years which was about four or three. It had been a long time. I never really realized that I've been missing  out on a lot.

                Exhausted, I woke up from a dreamless sleep. I woke up on Ari's chest. I stretched and left the room and closed the door silently. I walked down the corridor, vigorously searching for Amelia's room. My eye finally captured the sight of a faded white door that was slightly closed. I opened it, managing the creaking sounds to find Amelia fully awake with bags under her eyes.

                "What happened?" I asked Amelia.

                Here eyes lifted up to mines. The window was still open for some reason. I walked up to the far window before a hand grabbed my forearm. My eyes landed on Amelia as she took off her arm. 

                "I.. need fresh air."

                I felt her head, but she seemed to be fine. "Okay, let's head out to the woods."

                Before she could say anything, I grabbed her by her forearm as we both began to throw on our shoes. It began to rain vigorously. We ran through the rain and reached  moved towards gaps, not making any scratches. Our shoes met the soggy ground which felt as a gooey substance. I can't wait until the next morning, I sarcastically thought. We ran until we met the lake and were surrounded with trees.

                In the center, stood out a lake which featured a delicate reflection of the natural aspects. Luckily, the tall trees hovered us from the rain, only letting sprinkles falling onto us. I grabbed a pebble and tossed one to Amelia.  She seemed to be a little awake from now. I tossed a pebble across the lake as the delicate reflection began to stay but accessed orbs that formed, only making the image more breathtaking than ever.

                "Toss one."

                She seemed to not get the concept the way I was tossing the pebble, leading hers thumping into the lake. Amelia heaved a sigh and grabbed another pebble but this time she glanced at my position. The pebble bounced across the water for about three times. After when it was her chance, she managed to let it bounce across the water for two times. She seemed to more conscious than ever.

                Amelia whispered ,"Thank you."

                All I could do was grin. But it started to fade away when she began crying and squeezing her eyes shut, plastering her knees on the ground. Both of her hands peered above her eyes so I wouldn't be able to see her crying. She wiped every tear and hugged me by my back which was surprising remark. I heard a partial amount of her voice from her voice.

                "I miss mother."

                I don't.

                It's only because I had that opportunity to meet her every day in the woods.  Each time I was late, she would at least forget about. But from telling from Amelia's crack in her faltered voice, I could tell that she would kill in order to see Esther alive.  That was mission impossible. I've been meeting her as if she were. I never questioned myself nor asked her. But that wasn't ever a problem.

                It was my matters. But my back was excluded. I pressed my thumb against my back letting out a inaudible groan.