Chapter 4 (Part 1)

THE ANTIQUE BURDEN

 Today was crucial. Incredibly crucial.

                 I was called into the principal's office, waiting to be uncivilized with a hard spanking. Skipping mining was not something I intended of reminding myself of discipline. Who knew these staffs carry a sharp eye? Honestly, I didn't really know what or why I was sent to the office, but I was sure enough that it had to do with mining. My long walk down the dark corridor ran shivers down my spine. Goosebumps trailed up my arm, preparing for the afflicting rope to meet my entirely exposed skin. It was that austere.

                 Instead of seeing a wooden barrel and ropes, I was greeted by the delectable-- but unpleasant principal. Ms. Rutherford smiled creepily and gestured me to come over, leading exceptions to fulfill my mind. After seating myself on one of the fine, polished wooden chairs (which I wasn't doubtful that slaves made), I prepared to gulp for a discourse. Opposing thoughts bulged into my mind, hollering at me of her happiness of attending her colossal mouth meeting, my soon-to-be deaf ears.

                "Miss Evergreen."

                 I let out a soft mutter to notify her that I was ready for the discourse. To bare, my position stood out as a frozen one-shoulder shrug and one of my eyes squinted but alternatively, she was rummaging through a stack of papers, with her antique glasses that hung a string to the back of her neck. I slowly let my position lack and attempted my normal position, except that I was frozen and had the difficulty to breathe. It was that terrifying.

                 It seemed that she was not doing any harm--although, my system was in alert of what her surprise was going to be. Such as: Ms. Rutherford sticking her Jupiter-nose up close to my face, waiting for my expression to turmoil and start a blatant lecture whereas Egypt could hear. There was no good in the office, discipline is only what I heard from this place. I could feel the bad conscience praise her to take out a leather belt. Shivers tingled down my spine as I begun to think of that.

                 Ms. Rutherford made an unnecessary sound. "Miss Evergreen, you were appointed on a meeting-"

                 For once, I deliberately cut her off. "Meeting?"

                There was no meeting. I was never assigned to a meeting, I was never notified that there would be a meeting soon and last of all I never accepted the meeting. Honestly, I wouldn't even know who would have a particular conversation with me nevertheless. It would usually be my mother cursing and hollering at me for some imbecile, absurd reason. Brown. The barbarian cat. But it's too bad that she's dead. Anyone specific? There would only one that was incredibly savaging my mind. Him.

                 He leaned against the frame of the doorway. "May we commence?"

                 Without shooting a glance, Ms. Rutherford gestured her finger to the a door which was the conference room. Grunting, I stepped in the room after him. What a gentleman. The door clicked shut as I sat in the left side of the table, five seats away, taking light precautions. The dim light shone on the ends of the room and the conference chairs were metal, while the table was made out of a certain type of heavy wood. My fingers traced along the rim of the table roughly, waiting to get a splinter (which was highly unlikely).

                The male rummaged through a yellow file. "Miss Evergreen."

                "Yes, Auden?" I replied through clenched teeth.

                He gave no response, besides flipping papers; audible enough to hear the admonishing sounds. Auden let a low muffle as he peeked through a page. The silence in the room began to fill my ears, besides mutters that came out of Auden's mouth. My nails dug into my palm, feeling the pain that the male caused me in pure silence. Plus, he was an ignorant bastard.

                The sound of an imbecile locked my ears. "You seemed to skip mining. Care to spare the details?"

                "No." I said as if it were the most specific response he'd ever received.

                With his fancy, classic pen , he scribbled something onto a pad mildly. My urge to grab the paper, affluenced in a split second. My austere expression became to be difficult to pose for a long moment. A grimace began to form onto my face, confirming my desperation of whatever he was trying to write. After for a long moment, my hands began to incline puncturing my palm. An asperous pain began to form, causing me to yelp silently in pain, mentally.

                "You came here for a reason, you wouldn't have just come for a minor thing."

                Auden began to form a smirk. "Your right."

                He began to form utter silence, again. Does Auden think that he could just escape? That infamous imbecile! My mind began to repeat my last words, until I realize that my grimace hadn't released yet. A turn of the doorknob echoed throughout the room. An unfamiliar female figure ambled to the seat next to Auden. Her serious face almost scared me. Her brunette hair was formed into a tight bun, her lips were shaded with deep, bright lipstick and her pale skin was flawless under the dim lights.

                The female looked like she was in her early twenties. She wore a business suit and carried a briefcase which laid onto the seat beside her. The lady who wore a business suit pushed the seat beside her and rummaged through the case, which was loaded with hampers of paperwork.  She then pulled out a faded white paper that looked like as if it were kept for years and gave it to Auden who grabbed it as his blue eyes searched thoroughly. He lifted an eyebrow and returned to reality, where I was glaring at him, intensely.

                Auden let out a minor sigh and let the paper down. "So, Miss Evergreen 'seems like there were concerns in your record. "

                "Pardon me?" My record is clean, there was no way that they found out.

                Auden let his eyes back on the paper and highlighted the terms that seemed crucial to him. Was there a way that they found out? If they did, then Amelia and I will the graved into deep trouble. I even snuck in! The officials were too stupid in order to find out. There had to be an logical explanation. As soon as I cut back to the dim lights, the lady with the bright green yes looked at me with a poker face. She never smirked or threw a glare.

                "This." Auden said, sliding the letterhead to me.

                As soon as my eyes ambled throughout the paper, my thoughts resumed. Oh no.