2.5

-POV Opal-

"I know negative numbers can be confusing, but they are simple once you get over the fact that there are negative numbers," I laughed as I helped this student add and subtract positive and negative numbers.

That student got up and the next one sat down, I was alone in the class with all the students, Miss. Hayden had to go to the office for something. The whole class was lined up next to me waiting for help.

After a few kids Miss. Hayden came back and most of them scurried off to her. Being a help for Miss. Hayden was pretty straight forward, do what she says, be good at math. I've only been here a few days but it feels like longer.

After the final bell rang I stayed after for a bit to clean up the room. Afterward, I said goodbye to Miss. Hayden, and left.

The parking lot to this school was huge, and it took a bit to find my truck. When I did, I found a milk chocolate Hershey's Kisses taped to the window.

I sighed and took it off, and threw it in the passenger's seat when I got in.

I'm not going to see him. I'm not going to talk to him. I'm not going to think about him.

-0-

-POV Samm-

I had to start off small, and then work my way up.

If I jumped forward too fast then I won't be able to get her back.

-0-

The next day I went to our local florist. A woman in a blue apron stood behind the counter, "what would you like?"

"Hey, umm," I looked around the flower shop, "do you do singles?"

"We do."

"Alright, umm, can I get one white rose?"

"Of course," she smiled and walked out from behind the counter with clippers. I followed behind her as we walked outside. "Pick your favorite one," she said.

I examined the roses. Most of them were closed up, but one looked like it was in full bloom. I pointed to it.

She clipped it off, "two dollars please," I gave her the money and she gave me the flower.

I smiled. Time to go find her car.

I drove to the school and found her truck, I taped the flower to her window.

I chose the white one because it reminded me of her hair, and how it always smelled like coconut. Her hair was white, coconuts are white, and lastly, the rose was white.

-0-

-POV Opal-

We're still going over negatives, but today were multiplying them.

I was always good at math, but I enjoyed science and how the brain worked more. I took phycology classes three out of four years of high school and into college.

Lunchtime strolled around and Kylee sat down with me, "something's bothering you." She instantly said.

"How can you tell?"

"I can see it, you've been tapping your finger on the table, and I can see it in your eyes."

"You're extremely intelligent, you know that?" I asked her.

"I'd like to think I am," she smiled.

I laughed, "I'm fine. Are you skipping lunch again today?"

"It's not that I'm skipping, it's that I'm not ever hungry."

"Have it been eating in general?"

"Yeah, I just don't eat lunch."

"Alright, I was just wondering."

We talked for the whole lunch, I asked her if she had any interest in phycology, she shook her head. I told her about my studies. Eventually, the bell rang and the room filled with the next class.

I basically taught the whole class because Miss. Hayden fell asleep. I know the correct thing to do was wake her up, but she looked peaceful, and plus I knew exactly what we were doing. When she woke up, she didn't seem to care, she just picked up where I left off.

After the final bell rang I went to talk to Miss. Hayden.

"Hey, I know it may be wrong of me to ask, but is there any way I could get Kylee Anderson's home phone number?"

"There is, why would you like to have it?" She was stacking papers.

"I want to talk to her parents about her intelligence."

"Ah yes, Kylee is a very smart one," she pulled out a binder, "it's alphabetical by last name, just put it back when your done. I have to go attend a meeting."

Miss. Hayden left and I found Kylee's number. I wrote it down and left.

I found my truck in the parking lot once again, a white rose was taped to my window.

I took it off carefully and smelled it. It smelled sweet.

I grinned a little and got in the car. I put the rose up in my sun visor.

-0-

-POV Samm-

Today, I'm off to the bookstore. I remember Opal and I staying up for multiple hours because she was talking to me about this one book and how she couldn't find it anywhere. So I called a bookstore in Seattle, and they said they had it.

Sure it's a six-hour drive, but it's worth it for Opal. I left at midnight just to get to the bookstore by six thirty AM.

I walked into the store, books lined every wall. All I know about the book is that it's called Victoria.

I didn't know it until I was shushed by an older lady, but I was numbing to myself. Since she had made the contact I asked her where the book was. She directed me to a shelf of 'top hits'.

And there was the book, I took it off the shelf and bought it.

The middle school gets out at three thirty so I had plenty of time to get back to Yellow Hills.

It was about two when I got to the school and found Opal's truck, I took a red ribbon and tied it in a neat bow around the book. Opal never locks her truck and to my luck, it wasn't locked. I put the book on the driver's seat and left.