Chapter 4 On My Own

Hermione didn't even go to her classes that day. She refused to leave her dormitory as the memories ran through her head over and over again. Her best friend was murdered right in front of her. Which meant Hermione was officially on her own to complete the task. The pressure caused her to break down as she stared out the window in her dormitory. Sometimes, even the brightest witch of her age wasn't not sure what to do.
She opened Ginny's trunk and saw a familiar photo album that she bought her for her first year of Hogwarts.

She opened the book and saw that the first picture was her and Ginny on the train. Apparently Harry and Ron never made it on the train that year, and she forever wondered what happened to them, until Ron told her the story of nearly getting run over by the train, flying a magic car, almost having Harry fall out of the car, and getting attacked by a tree.

The second moving picture happened to be the two of them enjoyed chocolate cauldrons. Hermione brought Ginny back a present from Hogsmeade and the two of them decided to split them together. In the end, Ron ended up shoving between the two of them and took a chocolate cauldron for himself.

The next one was one that Ginny must have taken when she wasn't looking during the Yule Ball. It was her and Vikor Krum dancing in the middle of the Great Hall, but there was also something in the background that caught her attention. Draco Malfoy watched her and Krum dance, and had an almost furious look on his face. He glared at them for a minute before angrily walking in the opposite direction. On the paper below the photo read, 'Guess Viktor wasn't the only one who thought you looked amazing'. She automatically recognized it as Ginny's handwriting, and wondered why she never noticed this that night.

She turned the page again to see her and Ginny with the castle in the background. 'Guess you were never a fan of flying', were the words written on the page. She remembered how the six of them flew on threstrals to the Ministry to save Sirius, and let's just say she did not enjoy it.

The next one was the two of them with Ron in the hospital bed beside them. 'Family is forever'. As Hermione reached the last two pages she felt her eyes tear up. The first one was Ginny and Neville sitting on the Hogwarts train. 'It's not Hogwarts without you'. Both of them had sad looks on their faces as they looked into the camera, and the last one was the six of them, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Luna, Neville, and Ginny right before the battle begun. 'We're in this together'.

She closed the book in anger before tossing it back in the trunk and slamming it shut. She was slowly losing all her loved ones. At this point she didn't even know where Luna was. The tears rolled down her face as she fell to the ground. She didn't even attempt to stop her sobs as they grew louder and louder.

Suddenly she heard the door close and her sobs eased. "I don't know what you want, and I honestly don't care right now. Leave me alone." Hermione curled up in a ball on the bed, not even wanting to be seen, and she was thankful to take the polyjuice that morning.

She faced the window as she felt the bed dip. He placed his hand on her arm and rubbed it back and forth to soothe her then moved his hand to her cheek. "We can do whatever we want for the rest of the day. Snape and him went to London for something with the Ministry, and it probably won't be a pleasant sight with how the Ministry looks now."

"I don't even want to think about that right now." Hermione moved to sit next to the window, and Draco joined her. Both of them sat on the window sill with their legs in between each other's with Draco's left side facing the window. "Draco, does it ever scare you? The fact that everyone is dependent on you? Like the year you had to kill Dumbledore. Did it ever scare you that you couldn't complete the task?"

"Everyday of my life. He put his faith in me to make up for my father's mistakes, but he put the task on me for a reason. He knew that I would fail. He gave the responsibility to me on purpose because he knew that I couldn't complete it. Just so he could kill my family for our mistakes. It wasn't our fault that saint Potter always escaped. So I had to keep telling myself that Dumbledore needed to die. I spent months trying to come up with ways to do it, and as usual Potter had to figure everything out, but the worst part wasn't the dark lords punishment. It was the disappointed look on Dumbledore's face when he saw my wand pointed at his heart. I just couldn't do it after that. It's like he saw a second Tom Riddle, and it hurt to think that was what I had become." Hermione watched him stare out the window as he spoke.