Chapter 19 So Much Has Changed

Hermione stuffed her bag with her most needed and necessary study books, however, all of them seemed to be necessary to her. She put on her Hogwarts uniform, grabbed her robe to put on after breakfast before stuffing her wand in her pocket, and heading down to the Great Hall.

She glanced at her classes while Harry, Ron, and Ginny also looked at their schedules as well. "Potions class, Defense Against the Dark Arts, double Muggle Studies", Hermione said out loud more to herself than anyone else.

"You're taking Muggle Studies, but you're already Muggle-Born?", Ron asked as he stuffed his face with food. Some things still never change. "Why not take Divination?"

She nearly burst out laughing at the idea of her going back to that class. "Oh Ronald, we've been over this several times. I'm not interested in Divination. I'm not sure what I want to do when I graduate. Maybe the Muggle world would be a good choice." She decided to choose the classes that she would be good for the future. Such as Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms, and Transfiguration. All the required classes for at least Exceeds Expectations. However, considering Hermione had Outstandings in every class that wasn't exactly an issue for her.

"No way, Hermione! If you think I'm letting you leave us for the Muggle world then you're mad", said Harry in a stern tone. "I will drag you back here myself."

"Noted. Besides, I was only joking. You know I love magic." The three of them quickly finished their breakfast, and began packing up their bags before heading to potions class.

  "I think you actually had us there for a second. Your magic is too brilliant to go to waste." As the three of them made their way to the dungeons they continued to talk about the school year ahead. Hermione seemed interested in the classes she would be taking this year, but Harry and Ron only cared about their upcoming Quidditch matches.

  "Why am I not surprised?", asked Hermione as she found an empty seat next to Harry, while Ron sat next to Ginny. It had finally come to her attention that she still had her robe rolled up and thrown over her shoulder. She put it on over her uniform before Slughorn walked in and immediately started re-reading what was in the textbook.

  As usual he had one cauldron, and beside it at the front of the classroom was a small phial; probably part of his lesson today. "Welcome back to Hogwarts, seventh years. It also makes me happy to see a few returning students from last year's seventh years, but for now let's start the first class of the year. Now, can anyone tell me what these are?"

  Hermione's hand was the first, and only one in the air as usual. "Ah, Miss Granger, go right on ahead." She walked up to the first cauldron and immediately recognized the silvery thick liquid.

  "This is unicorn blood. It can save anyone even if they are an inch away from death. The second that the blood touches a person's lips, then they will end up living a cursed life, and possibly even a half life. However, even though it comes from something so pure in life, it can also be used in dark and dangerous potions. Death eaters have been known to use this ingredient in several potions to kill their enemies faster without suffering the consequences of the killing curse." She quickly moved over to the second cauldron and studied its contents. "This, on the other hand, is giggling juice. It's usually put in drinks. Just a few sips, and you'll be laughing until you can't breathe, at least until the effects wear off." As she spoke, she felt eyes burning holes into the back of her head. Her accusations were correct when she headed back to her seat and caught a glimpse of Draco staring at her. They made eye contact for a second before he looked back down at his notes.

  "Correct, Miss Granger, ten points to Gryffindor." All four Gryffindors smiled at her accomplishment. "I have one more potion to show you. This is memoriae. This particular potion triggers memories from obliviation. If something goes wrong with a simple memory charm, a few drops of this can bring them back. This potion has very rare ingredients that are nearly impossible to find, which is why Healers still struggle to bring back memories of their patients."