Chapter 20 An Accident, I Swear

Hermione stayed up most of the evening studying her life away. They had a Transfiguration test tomorrow, and she wanted to be extra prepared. Her cat, Crookshanks, was not enjoying the study preparation. The test was to turn an animal into a broomstick. She pointed her wand at the cat and attempted to turn it into a broom, but she didn't end up doing the spell correctly as she looked at the aftermath. It would've been fine if Crookshanks' tail wasn't moving back and fourth at the end of the broom. To be honest, it looked like Ron had tried to cast the incantation. "Granger, what is that thing?" She jumped at the other voice in the room, and turned to see Draco standing in the doorway. He was leaning up against the wood with a pleased look on his face. He was happy to see the ever so perfect Gryffindor Princess make a mistake. She moved over to stand in front of the tail part of the broom.

"A broomstick, obviously", she said as if he was incredibly thick.

"Really?"

"Yes, a Nimbus 2000. Not very good if you ask me."

"...but you hate Quidditch.."

"Oh honestly, Draco! I never said the broom was for me! Don't you have work to do? Or people to anger? Seriously, take a hint and leave." She walked toward him and started to push him toward his own dormitory, but stopped halfway and hoped that he would get the message. He raised an eyebrow at her before continuing on into his room. "Sorry Crookshanks", she said as she turned her attention back to the messed up broom. She aimed her wand at it once again, and said the reverse incantation to transfigure it back into a cat. He seemed to be very angry as he hissed and started to run away from Hermione, but unfortunately he was heading into Draco's dormitory. He left the door open ajar just enough to allow Crookshanks to enter. "Ugh, Malfoy. What an idiot. Crookshanks! Don't go in there!" She started to make her way toward Draco's dormitory when suddenly a shouting noise was heard. She cringed at the loud noises and crashes coming from the room in front of her, but suddenly it stopped. "Crookshanks?", she asked and started to slowly open the door.

Crookshanks stood in one corner while Draco was curled up on the floor in a ball on the opposite side. "Don't you know how to take care of your cat?", he practically shouted at her. His face was covered in scratches and his robes were ripped in some areas.

She didn't even worry about Draco as she moved over to her angered cat. "Bad Crookshanks!" Draco got up and tried his best to fix his torn robes.

"No, Granger. Don't worry about me. I only got beat up by your cat. I could be dying." Draco was a serious drama queen. One little scratch and it's the end of the world.

"Shows your fighting skills." She ended up getting a glare for her statement. "Oh, you poor baby. Fine, I'll help you out". She grabbed his arm and started to pull him out of the dorm room, and out of the common altogether as she opened the door and pushed him out. "Hospital wing is that way", she said as she pointed toward the direction of the staircase. "Bit of a walk, so you better get started." She slammed the painting shut in his face.

The painting jumped at the vibrations as the frame slammed against the wall. The man in the painting looked behind him, as if he could see the common room, and then glanced back at Draco. "Blimey, what's gotten into her?", the painting asked.

Draco simply shook his head as he stared straight ahead. "I have no idea."

"He's such a slimy, arrogant, git!", she shouted and kicked the couch. Crookshanks meowed in response. "I'm telling my problems to a cat..." She glanced at the ceiling in frustration. "You've officially lost it, Granger..." She cringed at the realization of her using the nickname that Draco gave her. She screamed in frustration and sent a hex at the wall with her wand that she had quite a tight grip on. Suddenly she saw Crookshanks heading back into Draco's dorm. "Crookshanks, stop it!"