Chapter 7 The Darkness Within

"Hermione Granger?"

  Voldemort laughed to himself, and soon enough everyone else had joined in, but only they only laughed to hide their fear. "Oh Theo, your humor amazes me. That Mudblood was killed in the battle of Hogwarts." Theo stayed silent as he gave Draco a look, which he returned with a shake of the head. Maybe Granger's return was now a strength to them. Something that could definitely be used against him. Either way, Draco was happy to give Voldemort false information, whether he cared about it or not.

  "The Order is slowing shrinking. We have to make sure to attack them when they least expect it", Draco heard Greyback mention.

  Suddenly Snape's cough silenced everyone. "My lord, the Order's attack on Malfoy Manor was simply a rescue mission for their soldiers held captive. If they were to attack again, then I'd suppose they'd plant a fake attack while the other half attempts to shrink the inner circle."

  "Indeed, you have a point, Severus. We must be smart about our next attack. Make sure the people being held captive at Malfoy Manor never get back to the Order. Radolphus, I'll leave you to it." Draco cringed as he could already picture what he would do to them. Torture them for information, then kill them. His school mates and people close to him were slowly disappearing, and he wasn't sure if anyone else would survive.

                                       ***

  Draco and Hermione sat in the Three Broomsticks while Theo was currently the third wheel. For a while it was quiet. Hermione simply sipped her Firewhisky and glanced around the place. "Pansy, what's the worst thing you've ever done?", Theo asked her. She suddenly felt like she was in a game of 'truth or dare', except with deceiving Slytherin boys.

  "You mean besides go out with Draco?", she said and turned to see Draco's annoyed face. "Just kidding, love." She kissed his cheek and turned back to Theo, but she couldn't ignore the blush rushing to her face, and the slight chuckle for his reaction.

  "As much as we all hate looking at Draco's big head, no that's not what I meant." Draco's glare never left his face, and this time Hermione didn't care about hiding her laugh.

  "I hate you all", he said as he wrapped his arm around 'Pansy', and ignored everything else Theo said. He could be the angriest person in the world and still had Pansy help calm him down.

  "I once hexed my parents in anger. It was an accident, but I also cursed Granger during the battle of Hogwarts. Not sure which is worst."

  "Why?", Theo asked. Hermione swallowed every ounce of pride she had before answering his question. She set the glass on the table and leaned back against Draco's embrace.

  "Because", she said obviously. "She's a Mudblood! Sure, she can study her brains out every night and pass every test, but what was she good for in the world? Her blood is filthy. You've said so yourself, Draco." Suddenly, hearing Hermione's words made Draco realize he had never felt more ashamed in all his life.

***

Later that night, while Draco was doing his homework in the Slytherin Common Room since it was due in a few hours. Thoughts of the Three Broomsticks seemed to continue to run through Draco's mind. They were basically eating him up on the inside. He walked through the hallway and saw Pansy reading a book on the black leather sofa. "Why are you awake?", he asked as she turned another page.

"Just thought it was a good idea to read tonight." The lake was lit by the moonlight and it gave a great view of the sunken ship. The giant squid was also able to be seen tonight.