Chapter 9 Memories

Once Hermione and Draco returned to the castle, and made their way to the Slytherin Common Room, Draco decided to move the Occlumency lessons to Hermione's dorm. It was the most useful since she was now the only one staying in it. "Alright, we had our fun for the day, but now it's time to get serious again. Imagine that you just told a lie to your parents and you don't want them to know the truth. That same emotion is used in Occlumency."

  "Why would I lie to my parents?", asked Hermione with a frown.

  "I'm just saying, if you did...." He was about to continue, but Hermione cut him off.

  "Why would I lie to my parents?", she said a bit louder this time.

  "It's just an example, Granger", Draco said through gritted teeth to stop him from shouting. He could see that she was about to say something else, so he quickly raised his wand at her. "Legilimens."

"Is that Hermione Granger? With Viktor Krum?" One of the Patil twins asked Ron Weasley, who seemed to be sending daggers into the two of them as they walked to the dance floor with the other champions.

"No, absolutely not", he said with a disgusted look. Hermione passed everyone with a smile on her face, and when she passed Draco, who had Pansy as his date, even he couldn't seem to be able to find a single insult to throw at her.

Hermione just got done talking to Viktor as she sat next to Harry. "Viktor went to get drinks, would you like to join?", she asked her two friends who seemed to find sitting at the table more interesting than dancing with everyone else.

"No, I honestly don't", Ron said harshly, and watched Hermione raise an eyebrow at his sudden change of attitude.

"What's the matter?", she asked confused.

"You're fraternizing with the enemy", Ron said as he turned to make sure Viktor was out of ear range.

"The enemy?", Hermione asked almost as if her ears had deceived her. "Who was the one who wanted his autograph?", she spat at him.

Suddenly Hermione saw the door to the Great Hall, and she was yelling at Ron for his unnecessary comments that he was sending her way all night. "He's just using you."

"That's completely absurd, besides I can take care of myself", Hermione said proudly.

"Doubt it." That was when she got extremely offended. She stopped at the foot of the stairs and shouted the words that she had been feeling.

"Well then, the next time there's a Yule Ball, pluck up the courage and ask me before somebody else does, AND NOT as a last resort", she said as her voice got louder as she spoke. "Ron you spoil everything!", was the last thing she said before the scene changed. Draco chose this particular memory because he wanted to know if Hermione ever noticed Draco's glare at Victor that night, but apparently she didn't. He wasn't sure if he was happy about it or not.

"You told me you figured that clue out weeks ago! The task is in two days!", said Hermione, glaring at him for procrastinating till the last minute. Harry and Hermione stood on the viaduct and looked out at the view in front of them. It seemed to be the only place on the castle grounds where Rita Skeeter wasn't.

"Really Hermione? I had no idea", he spoke with sarcasm dripping in his voice. It seemed like he wasn't taking this seriously at all, but he was probably just very frustrated. All of them were. "I suppose Viktor's already figured it out", he said as he looked at her.

"Wouldn't know. We don't actually talk about the tournament. Actually, we don't really talk at all since he is more of a 'physical' character." When Harry started laughing she realized what she had actually said. "I..I mean, he's not particularly loquacious", she said as she still joined Harry in laughing at her mistake. "Mainly he watches me study. It's quite annoying actually." This was the one time that Hermione spoke how she truly felt about Viktor, and Draco chuckled a bit to hear that she was annoyed by him.