Chapter 10: Secrets Revealed

Eli's POV

I am walking behind throughout the pit, but then I hear the Erudite, Ryan talking about not listening to a girl, that males are the superior gender and that he would never listen to her, so he would get rid of her as quick as possible. That is when I see their perfect opportunity, I starting walking towards the front where they were. Tris stopped near the edge. Damn it Tris move away from the edge.

I thought, when Tris is explaining, "This is the chasm, this is a reminder to us all the difference between stupidity and bravery, a daredevil jump from here will cost you your life."

I see Ryan taking a step towards her, "How about you give a demonstration?" They he shoves her hard, luckily not far enough for me to grab her hand. I glance down to her to see her looking up to me with shock and gratefulness. I start to pull her up until I hear Ryan's voice, "Hey look another girl, let her go or you will die along with her."

I just stare at him with hard daring eyes, I just smirk, "No, I will not let you kill our innocent instructor just because you don't like women being in charge of you." That is when she feel Ryan's hand pushing me too, I was hoping he would do that, to show that women are the superior and stronger gender, there was no way I would let him prove that wrong. He didn't know I had my hand griping the railing the whole time. So when I didn't fall either he grew very annoyed.

"Just fall you bitches!" I hears him shouting, then I felt him stamping on my hand, breaking my fingers with each stamp. "Let go!"

I look down to see Tris's eyes full of panic and worry, even though she was growing heavy I would never let her go, "Hey, Tris...Tris look at me." When her eyes are finally on me I smile a little, "Hey, it ok Tris, ok? I won't let you go; I have got you. Don't look anywhere but me" I see her looking passed me to my hand, "hey, hey, don't look past me. Look at me." Her eyes are back on mine. "See, it makes it easier doesn't it? We are both in this together. If you fall I fall. You are never alone. Remember that." I see her nodding, then I feel vibration running through the bridge which was making it very hard to keep a hold of, eventually I hear Four asking Marlene to take someone to the infirmary.

I look up and I am faced with my brother. "Four...get Tris." I say, I finally realise how tired I am getting, my arms are growing extremely weak. I cannot carry us both. I see Four moving to take my hand. Why isn't he listening to me, Tris is more important I am just an initiate. "Get Tris! She is more important." I half shout at him, I use the remaining strength I have to pull Tris as high as I can towards the bridge, suddenly she is out of my grasp and my arm falls to my side causing my whole body to sway. My hand is about to give up and let me fall until I feel a hand on my wrist. I look up to see Zeke. I let him pull me up, I let him use his strength as I hardly have any left. I just sit on the bridge breathing heavy.

I don't even feel Zeke looking at my hand through my glove, until he talks. "Eli, we need to get you to the infirmary, ok?"

I snap my head to look at my hand to see if he took my glove off, I am so relieved that he hasn't, that he is just talking about my broken hand "No it'll fine."

Zeke is about to speak until I hear Tris's voice, she also seems breathless, "Thank you, Eli. That was very brave."

I smile and shrug a little, why was she thanking me? any other person would have right? Just like we were saved by dauntless members. "I am sure you would have done the same."

I hear Four ask Tris "What happened?" I don't need to hear or remember that again so looked back at Zeke.

"Eli, we need to reset you hand, come on I'll take you." His voice is soft and caring.