Chapter 4: Alone

Girl POV

I listen to Tobias and Marcus's convocation as they eat, I hear how Tobias is going to be able to get away from this hell hole and I am so happy for him. He will be able to get away from the beatings he will be able to become strong.

I know by how angry he is that Dauntless is best for him, the way he punched the wall out of anger, means he will be able to make it. If he just focuses that anger towards something else, like training. He will learn how to control it all. Then he won't need me anymore, then I won't have to worry about being strong for him because he doesn't need me anymore, he will make friends and make a new family. Not me. He lived without me for 16 years; he will probably forget me in no time.

What if he doesn't though? What if he stays here because of you, because he wants to make sure you are safe? You know that he is selfless, he doesn't know it himself he doesn't see himself, but he would stay for you. A voice says in my head and I shake my head.

"No, he wouldn't, he doesn't even know me." I mutter to myself, trying to convince myself that he wouldn't stay. I wanted to be certain though that he won't stay, I need to tell him to go. To go and find himself elsewhere because he will regret it for the rest of his life if he stayed here because of me.

I lay on the bed going back to listening, I freeze when I realise what they are talking about. They are talking about last night. What is he thinking? Does he want me to get killed? Does he not realise what he is doing? I am already getting his beatings! I sigh deeply as I the memory of earlier comes to mind.

I hear the front door open, I turn grunting and gasping in pain just to look at the clock. No it can't be Tobias which means it is...As if on cue Marcus comes pounding down the stairs. If I could move I would be in the corner cowering right now, but my abdomen hurts, every single little movement drives agony through my body. So I just look at Marcus who is glaring daggers at me.

"Get up! You will be getting Tobias's beatings as well as your own until Saturday." I slowly start sitting up gasping from the pain that hit me, it felt like I was being stabbed all over again, I bite my lip hard to stop myself from screaming. Marcus was already growing impatient.

"I said get up!" He yanked me up in one swift movement, I bite my lip harder, and I feel liquid slowly pouring in my mouth. I must have burst my own lip.

"Take your shirt off already! Tobias will be back soon!" He yells at me and I slip it off with my back turned to him, seconds after it is off I feel it the belt on my back, I feel the leather sticking and pulling off my skin, I feel the belt pulling and tearing at my back. I couldn't help but sob and cry. After the fifth whip he stops putting his belt back on, he storms back upstairs. I listen for another 10 minutes before I hear the front door open and close again.

"Wow he came home just to whip me." I mutter to myself before getting up letting a cry escape my lips.

I push the memory away and start listening again, I hear how Tobias is asking about dishes but Marcus isn't having any of it, I gulp hard. I am going to get it, he is sending Tobias upstairs so he can come down here and blame it all on me.

I hear Tobias walk up the stairs and as soon as the noise fades the door to the basement opens. Come on... I have been stabbed and whipped today, I am going to die. A slow and painful death. I think as I hear the sound of Marcus's footsteps coming down the stairs.

"You heard all of those question Tobias was asking? That...that is why I never wanted you to leave. Yet you disobeyed me." I look at him, my eyes were wide of fear, I know I shouldn't be talking but he needs to know why I done it, to save Tobias's life.