As The Years Go By... PART 1!

13 years old

It's been two years since the two brothers saw each other face to face. They called each other and texted as soon as both brothers got their phones when they were twelve.

But to both boys, it wasn't the same.

So how's your project been? Sebastian asked from the other side of the phone. He was at his mother's parent's house in the room he was assigned to. While his mother went with her friends did their 'adult things', which Sebastian assumed mean drinking till morning.

"It's fine." Barry said. "I'm nervous, Seb."

You'll do great! Sebastian encouraged. I am certain you'll win that science fair.

"It's not that." Barry said. "There are people from ECAS who'd be looking for students for a scholarship. And I really want to go."

Wait, Edwin Croft's Academy of Science? Sebastian asked. The big fancy science University uptown Central City?

"Yes!" Barry said. "Now you see why I'm so nervous? What if I don't get in? What if the fuel tank leaks again? What if the magnetic field doesn't last? What if..."

Barry! I Sebastian interrupted That is not going to happen. Knowing you, you've double checked it right?

"Yes."

And you're going to test it before the Science fair?

"Yes, but."

But nothing. Sebastian said. It's going to work out as planned. And if these science nerds don't accept you into their fancy school, then they don't see talent that is right in front of them. So no more worrying, okay? You're going to get yourself worked up for nothing.

"Fine." Barry said. "So what about you? Where in the world are you this time?"

California, I think. Sebastian said. There's some sort of fancy smancy wedding that mother and father have to attend. And since my father is in the middle of a case, I went here with my mother. We're at one of my mother's parent's house.

"One of her parents or one of the houses."

One of the houses.

"Wait, I'm going to assume that your foster grandparents are like Iris'" Barry said "How aren't you with them or they're telling you that you need to go to bed?"

That would work, if they were actually here.

"So you're at your foster grandparents' house with your Aunt Jen?" Barry asked. "Isn't Aunt Jen's family like super wealthy living in big mansions and stuff."

No and Yes, Sebastian said Aunt Jen went to hang out with some of her friends who came in around seven. So under the promise that I won't leave the house and not to break anything, I was allowed to stay in here alone.

"They left you in a big house, alone?" Barry demanded "Where there are people that know that inside the house is probably a lot of jewelry and other riches which people can go in and try to steal?"

It's a gated community. Sebastian said I'll be fine.

"Does that happen often?" Barry asked "Them leaving you alone at home?"

Not too much, but it does happen every now and then. Sebastian said. Why do you think I'm so grateful you were at home.

"It's the middle of the school year." Barry said. "Why are you all the way in California?"