Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen 

OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT OF HWAN HYEJIN'S INTERVIEW

KBS CELEBRITY TWENTY-FOUR; 5TH MARCH 2017, 11:30AM. 

HOST: Hello everybody and welcome to KBS Celebrity Twenty-Four. Last week we featured and interviewed our rising solo artist, Song Yiseul. Today, we will be having Hwan Hyejin, the famous young author of Seoul. Let's welcome her. 

AUDIENCE: [applauds]

HYEJIN: Hello everybody! I'm Hwan Hyejin.

HOST: Such a lovely girl. I'm sure you're already aware that you are a rising celebrity in Seoul and the entire South Korea.

HYEJIN: It's an honour. But I'm only a normal girl who wants to be an author, in the end. I'm still not used to all the sudden spotlights and articles about me. 

HOST: I see. At your age, understandable. 

HYEJIN: I know Jinsol from April is the same age as me. Oh, and Chenle from NCT Dream. But they're different. They had practice. They have a group. They're striving a dream, not alone, but as a group. This is what they wanted—to debut and have the fame. It's different for me. 

HOST: We can all understand your position, Hwan Hyejin. 

HYEJIN: I mean, I am well aware that there are idols who have debuted younger than me although we are the same age. Take Jinsol from April, for example. Or Chenle from NCT Dream. Or even Somi from I.O.I. But there is a big difference between me to them. They trained hard to appear in front of the cameras. They work hard so that they can achieve great and they have to get used to all their working conditions. Me? Well, I'm just a girl who sits behind her laptop and brainstorms ideas alone and make them into a story. I don't have training. None of that. I'm not used to it.

HOST: Are you still scared about a lot of things?

HYEJIN: Yes, I am. I am scared to receive hate when I haven't done any direct harm to a person. I honestly think that is unfair, but people have different thoughts about different things so instead of bashing them, I will choose to respect them. I don't live to impress everyone, after all. I am only capable of a few things. 

HOST: It is still amazing how you talk like you know the world. And yet, you are just sixteen! Amazing!

HYEJIN: [blushes] Must have come from an author's minds. They just always know how to find the right words, you know? But I am still improving and will keep improving. 

HOST: Now, we have some questions taken from Celebrity Twenty-Four homepage website. I have a few with me today and I will read them out for you to answer. Is that okay for you, Hwan Hyejin?

HYEJIN: Yes. 

HOST: Okay. Here is the first one: Why is the story titled Highlight

HYEJIN: Ah, I have never really explained this before. Everyone knows the plot of Highlight, right?

AUDIENCE: Yes!

HOST: The story is about an idol who goes on a trip in a quiet country and meets a local girl, is that right?

HYEJIN: Yes, that is exactly where it takes place. An idol wants to escape from all the stress of being an idol—the cameras, the interviews, the practices, the performances, the pressure of everyone they are working for—so he heads to the least expected country a reporter would find him in. 

HOST: In the book, it is mentioned that the girl is Chinese despite being a local of that place. Is that correct?

HYEJIN: Yes. Her father practically grew up there with his family, which makes her a local too.