Chapter Twenty Three

When Hwan Hyejin first became a Carat, she didn't expect much. She was just like any other fan who adored the thirteen boys. But there was always that one guy from the group that catches your attention more than the others. That was Lee Chan, or Dino, to Hyejin. 

She became uncontrollable with her feels for SEVENTEEN and so she decided to write it down, which quickly escalated to a story. Who knew it would become famous like it is today? She certainly didn't. What she expected with a few readers who would enjoy and understand the feeling a fan girl. 

Now, she wasn't just Hwan Hyejin, a random Carat in the fandom whom the entire SEVENTEEN loves, although they don't know who you are specifically. Now, Hyejin was Hwan Hyejin, the most known Carat in the entire fandom; a famous author with a great book that is sold over thousands of bookstores; and, most especially, SEVENTEEN's Dino friend. 

She thought she couldn't get any luckier. 

But guess what? Her idol crush—or real time crush, at this point—had just confessed to her on this rainy day. It almost seemed like she was sucked into a Korean drama. Like the famous one these days—Goblin

Hyejin stared into Dino's eyes. He was happy. He even looked proud. Hyejin would have confessed that she liked him back too, but she was now afraid. She wasn't sure about what exactly. Maybe it was the fact that she would go through another scandal if they ever got together and it would be hard for her to handle all of that again. 

"What do you say, Hwan Hyejin? Will you be mine?" Dino gleefully asked, unable to contain his smile. 

Hyejin's eyes quivered, probably already filled with tears. It wasn't because she was about to reject him, it was more because she couldn't date him. Not because of her own reasons but because the world would turn upside down if they did. 

Hyejin continued to stare at Dino, who held nothing but a happy expression on his face. He looked expectant as he waited for a word to escape from Hyejin's mouth. 

Hyejin looked down at her hand—the hand that Dino was holding onto so tightly. She bit her lip and kept her head hanging low so that Dino wouldn't be able to catch her expression or her glassy and wet eyes. It was a good thing she didn't decide to take off her mask like he did. 

"Dino..." was the first thing that came out of her mouth. Hyejin wanted to be his as much as he probably wanted to be hers. However, she told herself so many reasons why she couldn't—why she wouldn't do it. "I don't... I don't know if what you're doing is right."

Dino's smile slowly fell as he stared at Hyejin. He was still unable to let go of her hand. "What do you mean? I'm following my heart. I really like you, Hwan Hyejin. Please, I don't want to hear a rejection."

I'm not rejecting you. How could I ever reject you? But because our situation is hard, I'll leave my answer to your imagination. 

"Dino, we've been through this once." Hyejin slowly pulled Dino's hand away from hers. On the outside, she was trying to act brave. On the inside, she was already crying an entire ocean. "It's been hard for the both of us."

"Hyejin, don't do this... I will protect you. From the media. From the fans. From my entertainment." Dino tried to hold onto her hand a little longer. "Please."

Hyejin was biting her lip too hard that it could be close to bleeding at this point. "I don't know, Dino."

"Think about it at least," Dino abruptly said. "At least think about my confession. Look deep inside your heart, Hyejin. I hope that somewhere deep in there, you'll come to realize that you might have a small set of feelings for me too. I don't care if you only see me as your idol, your brother or just your friend. I just want to know that I might be there, somewhere in your heart."