The Welsh Scaleback

Chapter sixteen: The Welsh Scaleback

Lucy made her way down to the first task, not feeling any better, not that she had felt good about fighting dragons anyway. Her stomach was doing backflips, walking her numb knees between the plots of cheering children. Snape had been told to let Lucy venture on her own, and had given her a look before leaving. She entered the tent and saw the other contestants buzzing around, either through excitement or nervousness.

“Hi Lucy, or should I say ‘Lucky’” laughed Cedric. Lucy stared and went red

“I, I didn’t know you new my nickname”

“I heard Shona McGuire call you it” he replied and made adjustments to his shoulder pad.

“You nervous?” Lucy muttered and looked at her shoes, they were deigned for someone two sizes bigger than her and for someone that fought dragons, both of which didn’t fit her.

“Of course,” he replied eyes dancing like amber jewels, “that is completely normal, of course, we are facing dragons”

“Same” was all Lucy said. Cedric smiled and made her hotter than the dragon could fire flames at her head.

“Is our revision still on?” he asked, “Unless the dragon changes our minds?”

They chuckled at that and settled the tense air of chanting students. They were continually shouting and screaming as well as the event drew closer.

 “No, I’m still free” Lucy said and Cedric nodded.

“I’ll be off then, I have to get this dam shoulder pad to fit” he walked off, Lucy squealing in her brain.

I talked to Cedric before I die! And he called me Lucky!

After walking around and scanning the others until boredom, Lucy heard a tapping noise from the tent. She looked around but no one had noticed. She looked at the flapping door and heard a whisper

“Lucky? Come in, Lucky? This is McGuire speaking”

Lucy sighed a breath and opened the flap and inch or two. McGuire stood there with a big bag round her neck, and looking very cold.

“Hi” was all Lucy said.

“I know you’re nervous, but I just want to let you know that if you need backup, I’m here”

“But I’ll get disqualified”

“Psh, I meant if you nearly die” Shona swung her hand then looked at Lucy, eyes wide with shock

“Thanks, Shona” she half muttered, half clenching teeth

“Oh I bought this with me” Shona muttered and took out what Lucy saw was a sword.

It was absolutely beautiful, golden handle with a jewel placed at the bottom only just smaller than the palm of her hand. It had the rims slightly encrusted with slim lines and the blade showed no sign’s of rust, it was as if It had been made before Lucy’s eyes. It looked powerful and deadly, one slight cur from it and it elegance would have you bleeding for polite mercy.

“Where the bloody hell did you get that?” Lucy questioned

“Got it from that mystical room, it was held by this suit of armour, looked like a giant chess piece, but the armour was real. I took it and thought maybe it would help”

“Well when I want to stab something I’ll let you know”

“Like Fred?”

“What about Fred?” Lucy said defensively, crossing her arms, making the flap pull back. Shona yanked it back to reveal more of her face