The future is a terrible unknown place

Chapter 36: The future is a terrible unknown place

Later that afternoon Lucy returned to Snape's quarters to find him sitting in his chair reading his prophet, with an amused smile on his face and Lucy knew something was wrong as soon as she saw him. Snape was smiling. 

"Either you've just found a great article in the prophet or you murdered Shona," Lucy said as she dropped her bag on the floor. "Please tell me you haven't murdered Shona." 

"No, I finally found out what Mr Diggory and Mr Weasley were fighting about," he replied, the amused look still on his face.

"Yes?" 

"Over you, fighting over you. I found that quite amusing, especially considering Mr Diggory is a seventh year. You didn't trick them with love potion did you?" 

"Are you trying to tell me that I can't get boys without help?"

"Not at all, I was just wondering as they seem to follow you around all the time. I should of seen it before." 

"It was obvious that they like me," Lucy snapped and snatched the prophet out of Snape's hands. "Now if you'll excuse me I've got things to be getting on with." 

"Like what?" 

"Places to be, people to see, good enough for you?" 

"I wouldn't go out if I were you," Snape said darkly. "Rita Skeeters on the prowl to interview us again and I know she'll target you first." 

"She'll have my fist to answer to if she dare make lies about me again," Lucy hissed and walked out of the door again. Leaving Snape to get up and stare out the window. 

He overlooked the black lake, just like most things at the moment. From his students' bad grades to giving Shona detentions. The only things he truly focused on now were keeping Lucy safe and wondering about what lied ahead for the three gifted. 

He stared at the orb which was on his desk amongst many papers that still needed to be marked, he stared at it then took hold of it. He turned it around and admired the object that Zuc wanted so badly. He placed it back down on his desk then went to the cupboard and poured himself out some wine, it was an old habit but he needn't worry as he didn't have it too often. 

He walked back towards his desk but unfortunately didn't make it the whole way...It was as though the world had gone blank, his heart was pounding in his chest and before long he had dropped the wine glass. It shattered and spilled the contents all over the floor. He fell to his knees and tried to get a hold of himself when he saw it... 

 "Are you ready?" Snape saw Zuc, staring at someone. 

"What?" Lucy asked and Snape now saw her. 

"To fight? Surely the magical wizard is up to any task, is that what our dear friend, Merlin said. "My ancestor, Lord Vasil, was killed by him, placed here and his roots lay forgotten. I found my destiny through him, and it all made sense. I laid here too long not to take action, this is my country's change to take back what it rightfully lost and would have gained."

Now Zuc stopped speaking and there was Lucy, sitting on the floor clutching her leg as it bled. The laughter of both Kingston and Zuc made Snape shiver. And then he was thrust back to reality, he found himself crouched on the floor looking around wondering what had just happened. 

Surely this was not real, surely this was purely a vision like Lucy had. Zuc interfering not only Lucy's mind but his too. But how Lucy described being manipulated by Zuc was not the same as what Snape had just experienced, oh no, this was totally different.