The Yule ball

Chapter 26: The Yule ball 

The next day, was of course, Christmas day. Which meant that the Yule ball was finally here. Snape mingled around outside of the great hall, looking blank and solemn. He told off a couple of children for shouting and had deducted points even before the ball had begun. Gryffindor lost a breaking 50 points, while Slytherin gained 20. As the people organised themselves Snape shifted uncomfortably

“Professor Snape.”

“What?” he asked turning around. McGonagall was standing boldly behind him

“Where is your date?”

“Date?” he said darkly and blankly. Remembering the lady he’d asked, he shook his head in disappointment. He’d never take Shona’s advice on love again. “She’s over there”

“Well you must find her the Yule ball will be starting soon. And also you’ll be starting off the dance along with the champions, your daughter and Shona…But where is Miss McGuire?”

“She didn’t get a date” Snape replied, he felt a lump in his throat as Lucy was mentioned. McGonagall sighed. “And now the tradition is broken,” Snape muttered

“I heard about your ‘attempt’ to ask miss fields to the ball”

Snape made a low disconcerting grunting noise. McGonagall obviously annoyed at the what Snape replied.

“Your attempt failed epically,” McGonagall said in return. Snape looked shocked as the lady smiled.

“And have you got a date?” Snape asked rudely

“Dumbledore asked me,” she said smugly. “And, Professor, if I were you I wouldn’t say things like ‘I’ve been watching you for a long time’ to someone who has to deal with drunk men on a daily basis.”

McGonagall walked away, leaving Snape to walk off tightly. Mad-eye limped towards him and Snape looked blankly at him.

“Severus, I hear - ”

“Yes, Miss Fields is a bar maid! But telling me not to indulge her in odd questions will not help!”

“Actually I was going to say good luck with your date with Jenny” mad eye said shocked. Snape went red as he realised how stupid he was being. “Good luck, professor,” mad-eye grumbled, patting him on the back and eyeing him with his glass eye. Snape was going to need it.

This night could not get worse, Snape thought. But it did.

He was yanked sharply behind a gargoyle and found himself staring at Shona

“McGuire! Why aren’t you dressed!” Snape questioned

“Because I didn’t get a date! And apparently we have to start off the dancing!”

“I know,” Snape agreed with a tone of panic.

“Can I tell you a tiny secret?” she whispered

Snape nodded.

“I don’t know how to dance, and I don’t have a dress. I don’t have enough money”

“Miss McGuire, why aren’t you changed?” McGonagall hissed

“Miss McGuire was helping Dumbledore with a mission, Minerva,” Snape said silkily. His low voice, cutting her into two. “Miss McGuire and me were going to see the headmaster in his office before she got changed.”