Yule ball dance practice

Chapter 20: Yule ball dance practice

The students bustled and buzzed in the Gryffindor common room. There was a gentle hum as the kids mingled with one and other, talking about the latest events at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and wizardy. Or just generally hanging out with friends. 

Fred and George were relaxing on the sofa, while Harry and some other kids were just staring at the egg, wishing it would just open with his round spectacles. He was yet to find out what secrets the egg held for him. 

"Lucy!" 

Lucy looked round and saw a fifth year boy. 

"You rock, man! You're going to dig it up next task!" The boy said with a lot of, what the kids call it nowadays, swag. 

"Oh, thank you..." Lucy smiled and returned to her prophet. She was calmer than usual and seemed to have found new confidence embedded inside her veins. 

Lucy's eyes flickered over the prophet and saw a free coupon to the mad mongeral suit shop. She flinched as Kingston crossed her mind, leaving her stunned for a few moments until Shona came to save her.

"Hey, you liking fame?" She asked and took a seat next to Lucy. 

"I guess," she shrugged 

"Do you think we're going to beat this dude?" Shona said subconsciously as the buzz died down. Lucy had no time to answer as McGonagall's presence stood by the portrait door, her wand at her side. 

"Attention please! May all of you please make your way down to exam room 24!" 

"I thought exams weren't until next year?" Hermione asked suspiciously 

"No dear, this is a little more different" 

The kids grumbled and huddled out, leaving their free time behind but were left confused by the order McGonagall had given them. It was a mass bundle to get out, like at all schools. 

Fred and George jumped through the crowd (Lucy unfortunately being dragged by Fred) as Ron slouched through the crowd lazily, receiving giggles from a group of girls. 

As Lucy made her way outside she saw McGonagall raise her hand to a student. "Fourth years and above only!" 

"WHAT?!" Martyn McGuire  tempered and put his hands on his hips

"Jealous you'll miss out on something?" Shona muttered and walked passed. Martyn glared at his sister and stormed back to the common room with his little posse following behind. 

The group of Gryffindors walked a little further until they reached exam room 24. McGonagall coaxed them in and ordered the boys to stand one side and the girls to an other. Filch stood in a corner with an old gramaphone and when the final lot of students lined up McGonagall stood in the middle of the room and smiled. 

"The Yule ball, has been a tradition of the tri wizard tournament since it's inception," McGonagall smiled.  I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. And I mean this literally because the Yule ball is first and for most a dance."

There were mutters and murmers throughout the exam room and both Lucy and Shona were horrified at what this Yule ball was.

"Which one?" Lucy whispered to Shona as they were stood next to each other. "They're both left!" 

"Silence!" McGonagall demanded. "The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening snatching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!"