The Second Task

Chapter 33: The Second Task 

The Second Task. It had arrived and there was no avoiding it; not now. Lucy picked up her stuff and applied the tight fitting swimsuit onto herself proudly wearing the red and gold for Gryffindor. She slipped over the tracksuit she had been given by McGonagall and exited her room. Snape followed, still feeling nervous but a little more confident in his daughter. Lucy clutched the egg carefully and they filtered their way out to the black lake, where growing crowds surrounded Lucy and applauded her.

Lucy walked with the thousands of kids walking through a plotted out route through the forbidden forest to the designated area. Teachers were positioned on every single metre to make sure. Lucy could feel eyes staring into her as she caught sight of the edge of the woods, leading to park of the black lake swirling in the chilly air and also saw harry floating across the water in a very unstable boat. When Lucy arrived she too saw a boat had been waiting for her, George bribing kids for bets and sweets.

“Want a Cornish pasty?” George asked

“Pardon?”

“Our new invention, it’s a Cornish pasty, but within a lolly pop.”

“Nice, I’ll take two,” Lucy said politely as George got his cash machine ready. But Snape grabbed her by the shoulder and tugged her away.

“You’ve got no time for sweets,” Snape moaned

“Dad” Lucy muttered as George threw the sweets at her, which she failed to catch. Snape ignored this and put her in the boat with Fleur, Cedric and Krum. Harry was already at the massive towers, accompanied by Dumbledore and Moody. Lucy shrugged and felt the boat rattle as she entered. The boat oddly drifted on its own to the tower of steel, all staying silent.

“George!” Lucy called out as she drifted closer away from shore. George titled his head as Snape watched her drift away from his grasp. “Where’s Fred?”

George suddenly went very pale.

“I don’t know” he yelled at her as a queue slowly formed behind him and little kids trying to be involved in the conversation. Snape looked at George with a confused face.

“Where did you last see Mr Weasley?” he asked in a raspy tone. George put his eyes to the sky and thought slowly

“I definitely saw him last night, don’t know when, probably before bed, he never came mind..."

George then went bright red as Snape flew past him and into another boat, thinking hard and leaving George to feel very stupid. 

*    *    * 

"Good evening everyone! Please take your seats! The next task will begin in 10 minuets!" A commentator in the top box roared. The crowd below chorused chants and sung tunes as the time got near. Lucy trembled in her boots, as all got ready to dive in. Snape was no where in sight, probably watching from above. Shona wasn't there either, and Lucy took comfort in a rather large shout from above:

“McGuire, stop stepping on my cape!”

“Its in my way!” the voice of McGuire shouted back, making Fudge shake his head and mutter something.

Lucy took out her wand and cast the spell, which would protect her from drowning in the water. She had perfected the spell last night, as Snape couldn’t seem to be able to find a suitable potion that would last long enough underwater for her. She felt a prickling feeling as the side of her arms gained three sharp like razors, a bit like weapons dripped in a slimy green texture. Her neck felt rather scaly an as she felt it the side of her neck moulding into gills.