Chapter 12

Chapter 12 – Secrets to reveal

"Who are you?" I asked suspiciously. The man laughed and looked at me kindly. "My brother's name was Lee Minhyuk," he said and my eyes widened in surprise. My father never mentioned him having another acquaintance, hence a brother. For some time, none of us spoke as I studied his appearance, wondering if I should believe them or not. "Why are you looking for me now?"

"There are a lot of things I regret and that I can't turn back," he said and a look of repentance was evident in his eyes. "Do you want to break free from them?" he asked. Confused, I looked at him and wondered what I should answer.

Some seconds later, I knew what I wanted.

-

I buried my head into my pillow as I let out a long sigh. What was that? Me crying in front of Jonghyun? That is the first time anybody has seen me crying for a long time now. More importantly, why do I keep telling him about myself? Well, there was no point in regretting now. It was already 7 a.m. and I had barely slept.

Suddenly, I heard somebody walking around in the hallway and I knew that it was him. I walked noiselessly to the door and slightly opened to see what he was doing. "I can see you" I heard and I hysterically slammed the door shut and leaned against the door. I guess this is part of my recent strange behavior.

I fixed my hair and once again opened the door with a confident look. "Don't get any wrong ideas, I wasn't spying," I said and took a seat on the dining table. "Yeah, right," he said unimpressed and placed a plate in front of me. It was then that I noticed that Jonghyun was already in his school uniform. More importantly, he had made breakfast for me.

"You can cook?" I asked amazed as I examined the dish in front of me. "Well, I tried. It was my first time trying to cook a proper dish, so I hope that it tastes acceptable" he said and shrugged. "Why are you ready so early?" I asked as I took a fork and took a bite. I need water. Right now.

Smiling, I ignored my needs and swallowed. "It tastes really good," I said and took another bite. "Oh really?" he asked as he glanced at the clock, which was hung on the wall. "Anyway, I have to meet someone now, so see you in school," he said and rushed outside.

As soon as he left, I hurried to the sink and poured myself a glass of water. It was too salty. No, it tasted as if I was eating a big tablespoon of salt. Well, it was the first dish he ever made. If I remember correctly, the first time I prepared food, it was even worse than that and I received a beating from Aunt for wasting money.

For some seconds I kept on drinking water until I went back to the table, with a smiling face and took another bite. He made it for me, so I should finish it, right?

After finishing and getting ready for school, I reached there by 7:50. "Mina!" I heard and exciting voice. I turned around and was welcomed with Daisy's bear hug. Next to her was Jae Wan, whom I hadn't seen for a long time now. "Why did the both of you not come to school last week?" I asked curiously. "Secret," he said and Daisy nodded. "You guys were together?" I asked shocked yet amused. "Maybe"

"I'll find out about that later, but now I have to finish my homework," I said as I remembered my unfinished assignment for biology. The rest of the day past casually, with boring classes, me bringing Jonghyun lunch and joking around with Jae Wan and Daisy. Well, it was more like Daisy and Jae Wan teasing each other and me watching them, but I enjoyed it.

Well, the rest of the day passed by pleasantly. Or that's what I thought. By 23 o'clock, I was sitting in my room, studying, more like staring into space, when I noticed some noises around me. The noises weren't too loud, in fact, I wouldn't even notice them if I was doing something else.

Soundlessly, I opened the door slightly, only getting a glimpse of what was happening outside, but I didn't fail to notice that Jonghyun was wearing his shoes and getting ready to leave. What is he doing?

He looked around once again, making sure that I didn't see him and I quickly hid behind the door. Once he was satisfied, he opened the door and I peeked outside again, seeing him leave the apartment. He even left early in the morning, to do something. Something I didn't pay attention to.

I am aware of the fact, that I should respect his privacy, but right now, I don't care about that. Hurriedly, I grabbed my shoes and jacket and headed outside.

The moon showed its dim lightness as I looked around, trying to find any trace of Jonghyun. Once I spotted him from afar, I curiously followed him, hoping that he wouldn't take his car and drive off. I could only see his back, but I was sure that he was listening to music like he always does whenever he goes outside, so he wouldn't be able to hear my movements. Still, I tried to be as quite as possible.

He kept walking round and round the same place the entire time as if he didn't want to reach his destination. As if he knew that I was following him. Sighing, I ran towards him and stopped in front of him, my hands on my thighs as I tried to catch my breath. "Are you teasing me?" I asked in between of my heavy pants.

"Yup," he said and looked directly into my eyes. "I was wondering how many rounds I have to make until you give up" he added. "Where were you going anyway?" I asked. "I just wanted to take a walk" Liar. "At 23 o'clock?" I inspected and he nodded. "Anyway, let's just head back" he said and dragged me back to the apartment.

"I really am wondering what you actually wanted to do" I stated before I opened the front door. "Is it a good or bad sign that you are interested in me?" he asked rhetorically with a smile and I went back to my room. Before I closed the door I muttered a quick 'Good night' and lay on my bed.

Whatever he wanted to do, he couldn't do it because I came in between and I was sure that something was going on. Something he didn't share with anybody, probably not even with someone trustworthy like Onew or any of his friends. Seems like Jonghyun was burying more secrets than all of us thought. 

End of Chapter 12