Chapter 13

Chapter 13 – Welcome back

"Just because you asked me to come along with you, doesn't mean that I'll trust a stranger," I said. "It's true that I want to get out of there, but I can find my own ways" I added and stood up, ready to leave the classroom. "I want you to reconsider it" he advised and I shook my head. "I won't change my decision" I firmly said.

I know what I want, but I also know that trusting someone, whose existence I didn't even know a few moments ago, isn't the right thing to do. "I'll see you around," he said before I left. Well no, we won't see each other again. At least this conversation made me realize that I am sick of my Aunt and her family, so I need to get out from there as soon as possible, but there are still 3 years left until I turn eighteen.

One week later, we had a school festival. I didn't expect anyone from my so-called family to attend, and they didn't, but surprisingly, somebody else was present there.

-

"Lee Mina, could you stop spacing out and focus instead?" my attention returned back to the teacher as he scolded me. I nodded and the teacher turned around, facing the blackboard, and continued writing whatever he was explaining about.

I tried to concentrate, but I couldn't since I barely got to sleep last night. I was awake, making sure that Jonghyun didn't sneak out again and he didn't. While sitting, and doing nothing, I decided to use the time and study for my exams which are right around the corner. So basically, I learned the entire night and now my head was about to burst from a headache.

The bell finally rang, signaling the beginning of our lunch break and I rushed to the cafeteria. After getting my spaghetti, I walked to Daisy and Jae Wan, who were sitting on the table and eating. "Aren't you guys hanging out quite often nowadays? Am I missing out on something?" I asked curiously.

Both shrugged, leaving me dissatisfied with their response, but I choose to ignore it since I know that I will find out about it sooner or later. My phone vibrated and I looked at the screen to see that strangely Key had sent me a message.

Meet me at the café next to Jonghyun's prior apartment after school.

"What are you looking at?" Jae Wan asked as he glanced at my phone. "Key? As in Jonghyun's friend? It's been a long time since I heard of him" he said after he saw the ID. "You know him?" I asked curiously. "Yes, didn't you know? He used to attend this school last year, but he left at the beginning of this school year" he said.

After school, I walked to the café and saw that Key was already waiting for me there. "Mina!" he said and unexpectedly hugged me. I awkwardly hugged him back and we sat down at the table. "Is that all planned?" I asked.

"What?" he asked confused. "First Onew invited me to this shop, then Taemin and now you. Amusingly, every time I meet someone of you guys here, we sit on the same table and eat the same. Another common factor is that the matter we talk about is Jonghyun." I stated as I looked at the piece of cake and coffee in front of me, which Key had already ordered for me. To that, Key only laughed.

"That's a mere coincidence," he said. "But you're correct, we are here to talk about him," he said cheekily. "Have you observed that Jonghyun keeps disappearing frequently these days? He goes and comes, but never tells where he is going" he said and I nodded as I supped from my drink. "Well, he has been doing that for a long time now, but nowadays he does it more regularly"

"I suppose that since you live with him, you could find out more than anyone else." He said and I nodded once again. After that, we conversed a bit about school and soon, I walked back home.

As soon as I opened the main door, I smelled fast food originating from the living room. "You should eat more healthy food," I said after I saw him eating while watching TV. "Geez, I've been eating homemade food for weeks now. You can't deny it since it was you who made me food" he defended. Knowing, that he was right, I sat next to him and started eating too.

"Mina, let's go there tomorrow," he said as he pointed his index finger at the TV screen. It was a scene from a drama, where a couple was having a date in an amusement park. "Is that even in Seoul?" I wondered. "Yes, I know this place. Let's go there" he said and I nodded. "Sure"

He looked at me amused and I couldn't assume what he was thinking. "Nowadays, you don't reject me anymore" he pinpointed. "Don't get any wrong ideas" I defended, caught off-guard and he smirked. "I don't understand what you are talking about. Could you explain what you meant with 'wrong ideas'?"

I stared at his deep brown eyes, thinking of an answer I couldn't find. Now that I look closely, he was quite fine-looking. His body structure was boyish and his dyed light brown hair fell on his forehead. He was wearing his glasses, which he usually only wore at home, yet he was looking incredibly handsome.

"Done with staring at me?" he asked and I could feel my cheeks heating up. "Don't mess with me" I said as I stood up and dusted my school uniform. "Anyway, I must learn now," I added, trying to get back to a normal topic. "You should start preparing for the exams too" I advised.

I noticed that I never saw him learning, not even opening a single book. "I don't learn for exams," he said and shrugged, his eyes still glued to the television. "You'll fail at this rate," I said and walked to my room. Well, I don't know how he usually performs in school, but because he doesn't study, I can assume that he won't be too smart.

The minute I sat down on my chair, I heard my phone ringing from the other side of the room. Lazily, I walked there and answered my mobile; it was my Uncle. "Hello," I said. "Hey Mina, how are you?" he asked enthusiastically. "Just like usual" I answered. Somehow, I felt gladdened as I heared his voice after many months. "Sorry that I couldn't come back home for a long time now," he said and I smiled. "No problem, I know that you are busy anyway"

"But I still got a surprise for you. Guess what?" he asked. "You finally found someone you want to spend the rest of your life with?" I asked hopefully. Uncle's wife had left him back in his twenties and he never remarried, but he always seemed lonely to me. I never encountered her and I am sure that she was a wonderful woman since I had heard so compliments of her from Uncle, but I was sure that a new individual in his life could brighten up his day.

"Why don't you just give up" he suggested and I giggled. "Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I'm back," he said and my eyes widened. "What?" I asked a bit too loud as my heart skipped a beat. "Yes, I'll be here in half an hour. See you" he said and cut the line.

I need to get Jonghyun out of here. Fast.

I slammed the door open and ran back to the living room, making Jonghyun look at me confused. "Pack your things and leave!" I said hysterically. Next, I opened Jonghyun's room, which was originally Uncle's, took the suitcase, which Jonghyun had brought with him, and placed his clothes in, not caring whether they were getting wrinkled or not.

"Geez, sorry, I'll study! You are seriously throwing me out?" he asked, still confused. For I moment, I stopped with packing and looked at him dead serious. "It's not that. Uncle is coming back in half an hour" I explained and he just looked at me with a blank expression.

"So what?" he questioned. "He doesn't know about you or you staying here! He'll throw you out once he knows about this" I explained. "But I like staying with you," he said in a low voice, "What are you waiting for? Hurry up" he added and threw his belongings in the suitcase too.

For the next twenty-five minutes, I spend my time eliminating every kind of evidence of a boy living in this apartment. "Here you go," I said as I gave him an umbrella since it was raining outside. "Where will you go now?" I asked and he shrugged, not giving much thought to it. "That isn't important right now. I should get out of here first" he said and threw his bag over his shoulder and grabbed the suitcase, ready to leave.

Suddenly, we heard somebody opening the main door, with a key, which only Uncle, Jonghyun and I possessed and I knew that Jonghyun was no longer able to leave from here. "What should we do now?" he asked and I stood there, frozen. "Balcony" I managed to say.

I didn't turn around and to look whether Jonghyun had left or not, but the next moment, Uncle was standing in front of me.

End of Chapter 13