Chapter 15

Chapter 15 – Something different

"How often do you intend to come here?" I asked curiously. "Until you agree," he answered. "It's been six months now, I wonder how long you will keep this motivation. It must be a pain to come to my school every day and get rejected every single time" I replied. I turned around and walked a few steps ahead when the rain started to pour.

I turned around and looked at him, who was standing there, getting drenched in the rain. Sighing, I walked to him again, took out my umbrella from my bag and handed it to him. "Fine, I agree"

For some seconds, he looked at me surprised. "Really?" he asked. "You don't seem that happy with my decision. Should change it?" I asked. "No! It took me a long time to convince you; you can't back off now" he said, getting all excited like a child. I can't believe that he is a man in his mid-thirties. I wonder how he will convince my Aunt to give my guardianship to him, legally.

-

There are some turning points in my life. To be precise, there are some people who helped me to get back up. Meeting them was my turning point. My Unni and my Uncle are definitely one of those people. To be honest, Jonghyun counts as one of those people too, but I would never admit that to him.

That's why I did feel a bit disappointed because he kept things hidden from me. I mean, he knows everything about me yet I don't. I wonder how his friends feel. They know him even longer than me, so I am pretty sure that they even feel more frustrated than me.

This time, I was extra careful. I observed him from a far distance and he probably didn't notice me either because unlike last time, when he kept walking round and round, he was actually moving towards somewhere.

It wasn't that far away; in fact, it was near his previous apartment. Next, he stood still in front of a house, which wasn't in a very good condition, and rang the doorbell. A lady, in her mid-forties, looked out of the window and glanced at Jonghyun. Strangely, she sighed and closed the window and didn't bother to open the door. He stood there, looking at the ground, waiting for her to open the door, but she didn't.

After an hour, my legs started to hurt, so I decided to sit in a café. I ordered a coffee and sat on a table, next to the window, from where I still had a view of Jonghyun. I don't know how much hours passed, but when the sun was about to set down, he finally started to walk away. What the heck was he doing? He was still in my sight of view, but I didn't bother to keep track of him because I knew that he was going back home now. Intentionally, I came home a bit late, so that we won't arrive home at the same time.

Confused. That is the word that describes my situation the best right now. "Hey Mina" he greeted with a smile as I entered. He is smiling as if he is truly in a good mood, but just some moments ago, he looked so different. He looked so miserable. If I come to think of it, he usually arrives back home at this time. Does he go there every day?

"Did you go to your part-time job?" I asked, wondering if he'll be honest with me. "No. I only work from Tuesday to Saturday" he explained and I nodded. Well, he didn't lie, but he didn't tell me what he was doing instead either. "Where do you work anyway?" I asked curiously.

I noticed that I know almost nothing about him. Heck, I don't even know what he likes to eat; he just eats everything I make without complaining. "At a management company. Why?" he asked. "Just wondering," I replied and walked to my room. Since he is a son of a businessman, there is no wonder how he managed to get a job like this.

After freshening up, I started to prepare for dinner while Jonghyun was standing in front of me, bored. "I want to help," he said. "Okay. You can cut these vegetables" I said and he nodded. To be honest, I expected him to mess up, but to my surprise, five minutes later, I saw perfectly cut vegetables in front of me. "Damn. Key taught you well" I complimented.

"I know, right?" he said and we continued to cook while singing along to the songs which were being played on the radio. Some time later, we were both sitting on the dining table, eating and talking about random things. "I am not sure but I think that we should buy some new furniture for our living room" I suggested and he nodded. "I think that we should buy black or white furniture" he recommended.

"You like that color?" I asked. "Yes, and I also think that this color would match with this room." He said. "Weren't we supposed to go to the amusement park today? I completely forgot" I remembered. "That's right! I totally forgot too because your Uncle came over" We both looked at each other and laughed. "Let's go there once the exams are over"

After that, both of us went to our respective rooms and I don't know what he did afterward, but I studied the entire night long. The following days, the only thing I did was learning. After school, I spend my time in my room with my books and hardly saw Jonghyun, except when we ate dinner, but even while we were eating, I had my book next to me, so we rarely talked.

It was Friday, when I walked out of the school, looked at the sky and let out a sigh of relieve. "Finally, it's over" I heard daisy say as she joined me. "Want to hang out?" she asked and I nodded. Normally, I would have declined, but since I am in a good mood because the exams have ended, I accepted her offer. Besides, I must find out what Jae Wan and Daisy are hiding from me.

So, fifteen minutes later, we were sitting in a café. "Do you like Jonghyun?" I suddenly choked on my drink and coughed. "Are you alright?" Daisy asked as I tried to stop the coughing. "Yes. Why would you ask that question?" I wonder. "Come on. You are my one and only friend, you don't have to hide it"

"I am not. It seems like Jae Wan is your only friend. Both of you have neglected me a lot these days" I defended. "Well, things happened," she said shyly. "Like what?" the curious me asked as I inspected her. "I have to confess something. I might have had a crush on Jonghyun" she admitted and my eyes widened. So, my suspicion was right back then. I sipped on my drink again.

"But I noticed that he wasn't interested in me. After all, the entire school knows that he is interested in you" she said and I almost choked again. "One day, you had a cold and as soon as Jonghyun heard about that, he left to visit you. I tagged along but left early" she explained. I remember that day clearly, I behaved so strangely that day, inviting him to live with me.

"But actually, I hadn't left because my mother had called me. It was because I was upset about the fact that he cared about somebody else so much and that he would never feel the same for me," she said and I listened attentively. "I just wanted to run off, so I left. Coincidently, I met Jae Wan on the street"

Suddenly, Jonghyun and Jae Wan entered the café and everybody's attention in the café focused on them. Both come towards us, laughing about something they were talking about, making me wonder about their friendly relationship. Just a few days ago, they hated each other. "Hey Girls" Jae Wan greeted and the two of them sat opposite of us.

So now, I was sitting on the window side, with Jonghyun opposite to me and Daisy next to me. Opposite of Daisy and next to Jonghyun was Jae Wan. "What are you guys doing here?" I wondered. "Didn't you guys invite us here?" Jonghyun questioned and I shrugged. "I did," she said. "Can you guys wait here? I need to talk to Mina for a few minutes" she added and signaled me to get up.

With a questioning look, I stood up and followed her to the bathroom. "I have some questions," I said as soon as we entered. "I know what you want to ask. I invited them because I thought that we haven't done anything since we all became friends, so we should do something together" she explained. "So, you think of us as a group of friends?"

"Yes, I do, do you not?" she asked. "Well, I guess I do," I said unsurely. "Anyway, this is the final year for the three of us and it's ending in two months. I just wanted to create some good memories" she said and I nodded, understanding her feelings. That still didn't explain how Jonghyun and Jae Wan got friendly all of a sudden, but I'll find out about that later. "Let's go," I said and we walked back to the table.

I wonder how I my next school year will pass. All three of them are a year older than me and will leave me in two months. Will the next school year become like how it was last year? Will I be left alone once again? For now, I should make some good memories until it's over.

"Mina what are you thinking?" Jonghyun asked. "Nothing," I said and he eyes me suspiciously. "Anyway, now that exams are over, it's time to do something fun. Something different" Jae Wan said. "Like what?" Daisy asked.

"I have an idea"

End of Chapter 15