Chapter 20

Chapter 20 – It's time to pay back

I sighed after I noticed that he was nowhere to be found. The street lights shinned and the people walked passed me with smiling faces. There was only one place I hadn't checked, so my feet automatically started to move towards that direction.

As soon as I reached the house, I ran towards the entrance and was surprised to see what was going on. Lee Min Jae's mother was crying while Jonghyun was on his knees. I don't know why, but naturally, I hurried up and walked next to Jonghyun and kneed too. "I am sorry for my rude behavior last time"

Both looked at me shocked. "What are you doing here?" she asked. "I am really sorry" I apologized once again. "Don't you think it's time to forgive him?" I added and a tear escaped her eyes.

"What is happening here?" we suddenly heard a manly voice. I looked up and was faced with an unknown man, wearing a suit and looking about the same ago as Lee Min Jae's mother. "Jonghyun and you, stand up" he said sternly and both of us obediently stood up. He knows him?

He walked to the door and together the lady and he walked inside. He didn't close the door and we were still standing at the same place, not knowing what to do. "Won't you come in?" he asked as he smiled at us. I suspect him to be her husband, but his nice gesture towards us is confusing me. "What are you doing here?" he whispered as we walked in. "What are you doing here?" I returned the question and took off my shoes. "Why were you on your knees?"

I was sure that Jonghyun was smart enough to know that I had already figured everything out. "It's his birthday today. I wanted to apologize properly one last time" he explained and I nodded. By now, we were in the living room, Min Jae's mother in the kitchen and his father was nowhere in sight. "Last time?" Our conversation was still continuing in form of whispering and slowly my throat was starting to feel itchy. "It's been three years now. It's time to move on"

Somehow, I felt proud of him. As if I was the one who had taken a big step forward, even though it was him, who was doing so, and I had nothing to do with his past. "Jonghyun, I am really sorry for my wife's rude behavior towards you." The middle-aged man came back, having changed into casual clothes. "No, there is nothing wrong with that, she is his mother after all" he said. "He would have been twenty-one if he was here" Jonghyun added.

"I am proud of my son. He did what he always wanted to do. He wanted to become a police officer and promised us that he'd protect everybody Even in his last moments of life, he kept that promise." That man seemed sympathetic to me, no, I was even impressed by him. Soon the wife followed and sat down on the sofa opposite of us, looking at us how a usual person would do, not sad whether angry.

I felt my phone vibrate yet I ignored it, knowing that first of all, it must be my aunt and second off all, that wouldn't be an appropriate time to pick up. "Anyway, we should get going now" Jonghyun said and I stood up along with him. "Please visit again" the man offered kindly with a smiling face. "It was nice meeting you" I said. Meanwhile, we had already worn our shoes and were about to leave. Just as we were about to exit, we suddenly heard a voice calling out for us. "Wait"

"Yes, mam" I said as we turned around and faced her. "I wanted to tell you that I would be glad if you would visit again" In a matter of seconds, the door was closed by the lady who was looking at us shyly and we were standing there speechless. "Did she really mean that?" Jonghyun asked me as a conformation. "I guess so" I replied and finally released myself from this frozen position. "I suppose it won't be your last time visiting there" I said and started to walk away, making sure that he didn't see my wide smile.

Soon, he caught up with me and we started to walk back home while humming and partly singing to some songs. "May I ask you something?" Jonghyun questioned when we were about to reach our destination. "Sure" I permitted. "Why do you always wear this chain?" he asked. "Unni gave it to me. It was her last gift to me" I explained and smiled at the thought of her.