Chapter 23

Chapter 23 – I guess I am happy

"You can come over at my place tomorrow"

-

"I forgot," we both said in unison. We both looked at each other confused, while Taemin looked at us amused. "What did you forget?" we both said in unison once again. "You first," he said. "I was supposed to meet up with my Aunt" I explained and looked at my phone, to see that it was already 4 p.m.

"I also have to meet up with my father," he said and I looked at him shocked. "Since when do get along with him?" I wondered. "I'll tell you about it later. See you" he said and rushed off. Some seconds later, I hurried away too, leaving Taemin standing there alone.

By the time I had arrived home, I was panting hard and sweat was evident on my forehead from all this running. She was standing in front of my door, looking at the floor. "Sorry," I said and she looked up at me. "You're here," she said and smiled. Shouldn't she be being mad at me for letting her stand here for two hours? "Why don't you come in?" I offered and opened the door with my key.

"Thank you," she said and took off her shoes. What's with the sudden politeness? After having her offered something to drink and having asked some questions about her family, I finally asked her why she wanted to meet me. "Actually, we are having some problems at home," she said and I already knew where this conversation was heading. "Don't even ask me"

"But-" she wanted to say but I cut her off. "No buts," I said and stood up. "Aren't we your family?" she asked and I shook my head. "My family only consist of two people and that's uncle and my Unni," I said, getting a bit teary-eyed. "Why are you only looking after me when you need me?" I asked. "Listen, I know we may not have been good to you in the past, but we have changed"

"I don't want to listen to your excuses, please leave," I said, trying not to sound too rude. Soon, she left without further attempts to convince me, since she knew that it wouldn't work anyway. For the following hours, I sat in front of the TV, while eating ice cream. Somehow, I felt sad. I always felt sad whenever I met her.

Sighing, I took my phone and dialed the only person who came to my mind. "Where are you, Jonghyun," I asked as soon as he picked up. "Going home, why?" I heard his voice on the other line. "Can we go and eat some pasta?" I wondered. I know, I was just eating right now, but I didn't care. "Sure, I am almost home, come out," he said and I hung up.

Some minutes later, I was standing outside, waiting for him. "Let's go" as soon as we arrived. "So, how was it?" I asked. "It was fine, I guess. He called me yesterday and asked me to meet up. Apparently, he doesn't mind me living alone and independent" he explained. "The actual reason he had called me was because he is getting married. Again" he said. "Didn't he get divorced not too long ago?" I wondered, remembering what he had told when we went to the beach altogether.

"That's true. I actually don't care about anything he does anymore." He said. "Do you want to attend the wedding with me?" he suddenly asked. "Me? No way. I never went to a marriage of a business man" I said. "Just come along. I won't feel alone if you're there" he pleaded. "Fine" Why did I give in so easily?

By now, we had reached the Italian restaurant. "You want Spaghetti, right?" he asked once we sat down and I nodded. We ordered our food and then continued our conversation. "You couldn't finish telling me what you wanted to say earlier," I remarked.

"That's right," he said and made a pause. "Actually, you know everything now, except what he told me in the hospital. After we arrived at the hospital, the doctor told me that he had survived. I was relieved the doctor told me that Hyung had requested to meet me. I entered the room and saw that he was laying on the bed, peacefully and patiently waiting for me." He said and I could see that he felt gloomy while recalling these memories.

"He barely managed to talk, no he was whispering and he told me that I should be happy in my life," he said and the waitress arrived with our food. I uttered a quick 'thank you' and soon, he left. "You didn't keep your promise" I stated. "Well tell me, would you be able to be happy after everything that happened?" he asked and I shook my head. I wouldn't be. "I bet your sister also didn't want you to live in misery" he added.

"But it's different now. I guess I am happy"

"I guess I am happy too"

"Anyway, would you like to trace down the girl we met in the mall?" I asked, changing the topic. "Definitely," he said. "She is more interesting than you," he said and I stepped in his foot. "Ouch" he winced, but the amusement was still evident. "You'll regret having teased me" I warned, planning my revenge plan again which I had forgotten. "Really? I don't think so. You're a little shrimp. You can't do anything to me" he said. "Shrimp?!" I asked bewildered.

"Guys, what are you doing here?" we heard. I turned around and came face to face with Jae Wan and Daisy. "Hey Guys" I greeted and both joined us at our table. "We just wanted to go out for dinner. What about you?" I wondered. "You guys are going out, right?" Jonghyun stated, jumping into conclusions. "No, they are not" I objected. She would have told me if they were. "Yes"

I looked at her shocked and Jae Wan shyly scratched his head. "Why didn't you tell me?" Well, the fact they were going out wasn't the shock, it was obvious that they would end up together anyway. "You didn't tell me either!" she said and I looked at her confused. "You are going out with Jonghyun"

"What are you talking about. I am not-" I couldn't finish my sentence because Jonghyun stopped me. "Don't deny it" I remained silent and took a sip from my drink. "See, I knew it," she said to Jae Wan and he just laughed. "It's getting interesting"

"You have finished eating already, so come with me," Daisy said. "Fine" I answered and took my bag, ready to leave. "See you at home," I said to Jonghyun and bid my goodbye to Jae Wan. Soon, we were walking on the streets, the streetlights illuminating the road.

"Don't you think that we haven't been in contact recently?" she asked and I nodded, agreeing with her. "So, tell me everything that happened," I said and she took a deep breath. "Jae Wan helped me overcome some problems" she started. "I was really thankful to Jonghyun because he helped me when the girls always made fun of me, but because of him, they got scared of me and avoided even seeing my face"

Somehow, I couldn't help but chuckle. That sounds so Jonghyun like. "Because of the help from Jae Wan, they are not scared of me anymore. Not that I want to be their friend, I would never want to, after all, they did to me"

"We even went on a road trip together, to get away from problems" she explained. I carefully listened to her stories as I noticed how happy she was while talking about him. "First, I was a bit frustrated. I admit that I was a bit interested in Jonghyun, but he wasn't. While I was interested in him, he was in you"

I looked at her in shock, as I could never have guessed it. "But you don't have to feel burdened, he doesn't feel like that anymore" she assured. "It took me a long time to notice that I like him and so goes for him," she said with a smile.

"What about you?" she asked and my phone, which was inside of my pocket, started to vibrate. "Wait a second," I said as I looked at the caller ID. "Yes, Jonghyun?" I asked after I picked up. "Mina, your uncle is in my living room" he whispered and my eyes widened. "What?!"

"I don't know why, but he just suddenly showed up," he said. "I am coming in a few minutes," I said and hung up. "Sorry, Daisy. I've got to go" I said and started to run. She probably noticed that something was going on, so she didn't ask for any further information.

In a matter of a few minutes, I reached home and without thinking, I hurried to Jonghyun's apartment and opened the main door with the key, which I had received from him. I banged the door opened and ran towards the living room, only to see that he was sitting on the sofa and having a chat with Jonghyun. Both were laughing and smiling and as I entered the room, my uncle looked at me confused, as to why I ran here like some kind of psycho.

We all looked at each other, not uttering a word until I cracked an awkward smile. "H-Hi"

End of Chapter 23

Question:

How do you expect the upcoming character, the girl who bumped into Taemin the last chapter, to be?

UPDATE: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JONGHYUN!!!!