Chapter 2

Sophia's heart pounds and her blood runs cold. Only about a hundred feet below the giants gather at the castle doors. Their dark shadowy figures are barely iluminated by the flickering lanterns they carry. She guesses that there are about seven of them but its hard to truly tell because of the size of their hulking forms. A knock on her bedroom door startles her and the blanket cascades to the floor. The movement catches the eye of a giant below. He stares at the frosted window watching the young girl turn away from the glass. He smiles. His prize was about to be won.

The servant stands waiting outside the door as Sophia pulls her cloak over bare shoulders. The deep purple fabric ripples as she walks down the spiral staircase. Her mind races as she considers her predicament. "What will become of me?" She whispers quietly as she approaches the main hall. Inside she can hear the booming voices of the giants and the calming voice of her father. A small smile crosses her face when she hears his comforting words but is then torn away by the realization that she will never hear his voice again. Tears well at the corners of her eyes but she pushes her emotions down struggling to keep them subdued. Sophia takes a deep breath, pushes open the heavy oak doors, and enters the main hall filled with her soon to be masters.

His eyes fall on her and everything in the room seems to dissapear. Her willowy form is complemented by a flowing nightgown and a royal purple cape. The prince is very pleased. He watches her every move as she timidly approaches the party of giants. She is so small yet her elegant beauty is obvious. His prize is almost his and he can't wait to get his hands on her.

Sophia struggles to breath as she looks up at the towering faces of her new "owners". Their size is greater than she could have ever imagined. They could kill her by simply squeezing her too hard and here she was about to be handed over to them. Her eyes move from one giant to another, filing with fear as they take in each rugged appearance. She grasps her dress tightly and approaches her father.

He watches her with teary eyes. She did not deserve this. There was no reason for her to be given as nothing more than a trophie if it hadn't been for the war that he had lost so quickly in his stupidity. He should be paying the price, not his daughter. He thinks bitterly. She stops in front of him and he locks her in a strong imbrace trying not to let her see him cry. She has fear enough as it is, there is no need for him to make her more frightened of her predicament.

Clavier, the king of the giants watches the father and daughter as they release and she watches him leave. Now it was time for the fun to begin. The young beauty turns to them and bows her head. A sign of submission, the sign of giving up. He nudges his son forward and watches as the two interact for the first time. He can see the greed in his sons countenance and cant wait for it to be appeased.