Chapter 55

-To fall in love, can be an extremely messy thing. You can't always choose to whom feelings grow for. One day, you may just wake up and feel more deeply than ever before for a face you saw in passing. Or, the feeling may grow from hate to pure adoration. Love can be and will always be an extremely messy thing. But, so is life. If it were not messy, then it would be far too boring to live.

Drake POV

"Valcrum, I can explain," I say lowly, watching the old man in front of me carefully.

He gazes at me in pure aw and confusion. "No immediate anger from you, how odd." He mutters, watching me intently.

Discomfort at the size difference is quickly taking over what little confidence I have but I try to push it away, instead focusing on what I need to do to help the others I left behind. "Valcrum I need your aid. There's an entire village of, of escaped humans hidden in the woods far off to the west. I need to be restored to my size to help them."

"You, helping humans, how daft. What is this other than some ploy to get me to give you back your true size."

"I swear this is no ploy Valcrum."

He gazes down at me skeptically before I see his gaze slowly begin to soften and a slight look of awe enter his eyes. He stands, his height growing even more.

"In all my years I never thought you would change for the better and now, here you are before me, begging to help others." He chuckles, walking over to a large cabinet. "Oh how fate has blessed me."

"Valcrum, what nonsense are you speaking of."

"Oh nothing, nothing." He waves me off, pulling something wrapped in a brown, cloth, bag from a hidden compartment of the cabinet. "Here is the thing you seek." He pauses. "Wait, you said to the west?"

"Correct," I say slowly.

Valcrum's face slowly whitens. "Oh Galore, Clay headed to the Forest of Alder this morning."

"No." My jaw drops. "Valcrum I need that potion now!"

"What on earth are you thinking of Drake?"

"Valcrum just, just trust me. It's their last hope."

Clay POV

There it is. In a small valley created by two grassy mounds of earth with a small spring flowing from the top of one, is a village. Small and cuddly built by obvious in the daylight. The tiny shapes of humans milling around can be seen. I smile to myself, holding a hand up to the small group behind me, telling them to wait. I take a step forward.

"How good to see you all." My voice rings out in the silence of the forest and screams instantly follow.

Figures dart into the tiny houses, stumbling through the streets and diving into shadows. I chuckle watching their fanatics and useless struggles to escape.

"Come now, you all don't really think you can escape me do you?" I reach down and pluck a wagon from the ground, watching the people scatter from beneath it as I crush it to tiny pieces. "So helpless and weak out here all on your own. Danger runs rampant in these forests, don't you believe being a pet is safer?" I flick over a fruit stand, apples rolling across the cobblestone road. "You" I begin to say. "Clay!" I freeze and slowly turn my head.

Standing there on an overturned wagon, her turquoise dress streaming in the wind and her dark hair a wild but beautiful mess around her head is Sophia.

"Leave them alone." She growls.

My eyes widen at her moxy. "Sophia, I see you've gained a voice."