Chapter 27

Ceius POV

Drake was not happy when he had found that their was no Sophia in his room. I had told him that I had in fact put her in there on his desk. He believed the simple lie and thought it best for me to leave while he searched for her. I had gladly complied and returned home.

I carefully enter my master suite and close the door softly. Sophie stirs slightly in my pocket and I pause not wanting to wake her up. She has been through so much that she has to be exhausted. When I feel her stop moving I quietly walk over to the bed and carefully pull her from my pocket, laying her on one of the starched white pillows. Her tiny chest rises and falls in sleep and my eyes scan her. Such a pretty human, stuck with my cousin, and probably treated like an animal. It makes me sick. I gently stroke her hair with my fingertip and her eyes slowly begin to open. Her body freezes as she scans the room and realizes that it is not the one she had so recently been held in.

"W...Where am I?" She says softly fear filling her voice.

"You're in my room at my castle and please, don't be afraid." I say gently helping her sit up.

She looks up, her eyes filled with confusion. She must not be used to such kindness. Damn my cousin.

"W... why am I h...here?" She stutters, obviously still frightened.

"I brought you here to protect you." I say simply not wanting to confuse her further with other details.

She nods and does not press any more questions. Instead, she stands and uses my finger to balance herself. She tries to walk across the plush expanse of the pillow and instead falls into my open palm. I carefully cup her in my hand and bring her to my lap, slowly setting her down. I smile down at her and she tilts her head.

"Are you lying? Is... is this a trick from Drake?" She asks softly.

My heart breaks at her distrust. She must not know anything about me or Drakes family in general.

"Why would you think this is a trick?"

"It...it's just to good to be true and why would a cousin of Drake betray him?"

I can hear her voice tighten and I know she is fighting back tears.

"Hey, its ok" I pick her up and cradle her against my chest. "There is a lot more to this story but, you must be so tired from this whole ordeal you've been through, huh."

She nods and snuggles closer against my chest.

I smile not realizing how quickly I would get attached to the little Sophia.

Sophia POV

I know that I shouldn't trust him so soon but it is so nice to be treated so well. I curl up closer to him and feel him soothingly rub my back. I don't know what he meant when he was talking about there being more to the story. What could he mean? The longer I think about it, the longer I realize how little I know about the war and it cause.

"Ceius?"

"mhm?" He says softly, his chest vibrating.

"Wh...why did you save me?"

He pulls me away from his chest and I panic thinking I said something wrong.

"Like I said, Ill tell you eventually but you are so tired and I don't want to exhaust you any more."

He carefully moves about on the bed for a moment before setting me down and laying next to me. His honey eyes look me over and a soft smile crosses his face.

"what is it?" I ask softly.

"you're just so cute." he chuckles.

I'm not sure how to act with this sudden turn of events but, sudden or not, it is better than the situation I came from.