Chapter 54

Sophia POV

It's small moments like this that make my past fade away like the fog of the morning, dissipating into a far off memory. Standing at the sink, a wet towel for an apron, my hair messily tied up to keep it out of my face but somehow, somehow a small strand still falls down in front of my eyes. I'm elbow deep in the sudsy water in the dish sink, busily scrubbing at the copper pots and pans while Angelina sits on the counter. She swings her bare feet back and forth, a leather bound book with yellowed pages opened up on her lap. She reads from it in her bright cheery voice. A tale of far off places, daring rescues, and true love unfolding in the quiet of the kitchen.

"Do you think true love is real Sophia?"

I pause, wiping my brow and only succeeding in getting bubbles on my forehead. I shrug. "Why would you ask a ridiculous question like that?"

"Because I think it's real." She sighs happily, her giddy mind on other things or other people.

"Of course you do Angelina, you always believe in fairytale nonsense."

"And why shouldn't I? So many things that should only exist in fairytales have happened to us. You know this just as well as I if not better!"

I chuckle hollowly, wiping my hands on my apron. "How so?"

"You were taken captive by a wicked prince who eventually you learned to love and he loved you too. Then, a new king rose up and took you captive, removing your true love from your side and locking him far away only to be reunited someday in the far off future."

Deep breath. "First of all, Drake is not and shall never be my true love, if there even is such a thing, and secondly,  we never fell in love and I pray to Galore that I will never, see his face again."

"Are you sure because when you talk about him..."

"Certain." I interrupt sharply, ending the conversation then and there.

I turn back to the sink, picking up where I left off. She goes back to reading before the heavy footfall of boot clad feet interrupts us.

"Dominic, do you believe in true love?!" Angelina exclaims excitedly.

I wince, keeping my focus on the dishes.

"Yes, indeed I do. Why do you ask?"

"I don't know, I was just wondering. Sophia doesn't believe in it."

"Really?"

I roll my eyes knowing another argument is due. I whirl around, raising my brows in a challenging gaze. "Yes really, why should I believe in something so foolish?"

His eyes widen slightly but he shrugs. "Maybe because it gives you something to believe in."

"Oh yes, just what I need, some foolish hope that I spend every day wishing will become true only to be harshly reminded of the cold reality that it's does not exist!" I slam my fist down on the counter and freeze, realizing I had just yelled the last part of my tirade. "If you'll excuse me." I mumble softly, tossing my towel onto the counter.

I push past Dominic and feel his and Angelinas eyes follow my back up the stairs before I am able to shut myself in my room and sink to the hard wooden floor.

I am damaged. Memories still haunt me but, they're not the same as before. It's not so much fear as it is the feeling of something missing. The worst part is that I can't figure out what it is. Here, I have everything I could ever want or ask for and yet, I'm unhappy. Why? Every day is a new argument within my mind and yet, I don't even know what the argument is about. I shut our feelings, memories, everything as best I can so it's simply the feeling of something wrestling around for dominance inside of me.