Chapter 37

Sophia POV

"C...Ceius," I gulp. "you're not supposed to be here."

He chuckles softly moving into the room and approaching my cage. "Actually I am. I was invited to the coronation?"

"You were what?!" I say in surprise not knowing what to do as he moves towards me.

"Well I mean, I invited myself." He gives me a soft smile before turning into a look of concern. "Sophia, what's wrong, are you not happy to see me."

I... I don't know how to answer. To an extent, yes I am happy to see him but he's not supposed to be here. What will Drake do if he finds out...when he finds out.

Drake POV

My cousin...here! I am steaming, standing frozen outside my door. He better not lay a finger on Sophia. Wait... Sophia. I slow my pace as I ascend the last few steps. How is she going to react? If he tries to take her will she go with him? I decide to wait and see. I peek in through a crack in the door, careful as to not let them see me.

"No, no I... I am, but y...you're not supposed to be here." I hear Sophia stutter.

Ceius's tall form stands in front of the cage, blocking my view of her. She is scared, I can tell. Ceius you fool, your stressing her out. Oh gosh... Im starting to think like him.

"Come on Sophia, you know I'm not going to hurt you, Im here to help you." Ceius coos softly.

Don't you touch her Ceius.

"B...but Drake will b...be back any second and..."

Oh gosh shes nervous and trying to get him to leave. I smile, knowing all I need to. I force the door open all the way, causing it to slam against the wall to prove a point. Ceius whips around, his eyes hold surprise.

"How nice to see you again Ceius." My words drip with sarcasm.

"Drake, I wish I could say the same." He chuckles nervously.

I turn my gaze to the cage behind him and see a very pale and frightened Sophia. Oh Galore, I hope she doesn't think Im mad at her.

"Now, out." I bark suddenly, causing Ceius to jump. I smirk at his slight glare. "There will be a room made ready for you."

He nods, giving one more look to Sophia before brushing past me and closing the door with a click. I sigh, lowering my gaze to the floor, letting myself calm down.

"D...Drake, I promise I...I wasn't going to go with him I..." Sophia suddenly sobs.

My heart lurches and I hurry over to her cage. "Shh Sophia, Its alright, I know, I know." I sooth as I pull her from her golden prison.

I clutch her to my chest, softly rubbing her back with my fingertip. She sobs into my chest, utterly terrified. Poor thing, she has been put through so much this week, no wonder she is so frazzled. Stupid cousin, having to come in and freak her out.

"Im s...sorry Drake." She continues to sob into my chest, gripping my shirt with her minuscule fists.

My heart breaks a little. I really did terrify her.

"Shh, Sophia, My darling Sophia, it is ok. It's alright. You did nothing wrong." I sooth, stroking her hair and bringing her over to the bed.

She sniffles in reply, burying her face in my shirt. I sigh, gently continuing to rub her back. Hopefully she will calm down quickly. I haven't had to calm her this much before, it's all new to me.

"Please don't hurt him." She mumbles into my chest.

"Hmm?" Who does she not want me to hurt?

"Please, don't hurt Ceius, he was just trying to help." She sniffles, looking up at me with teary eyes.

"Oh my darling," I mumble. "I won't, I promise."

I slowly walk over to the bed, laying down. She continues laying on my chest, her crying slowly starting to stop.

"T...thanks." She sniffles, cuddling up to me.

I sigh, trying to figure out what to do with a distraught Sophia. I came back early hoping to spend some time warming her up and instead, I came back to comfort her instead. At least she was cuddly though. I smile, stroking her back with my thumb as my fingers curl around her.

"Drake?"

"Yes." I say softly, comforted by her small form.

"Why did you come back so early?" She asks, her voice soft and wavering.

"I wanted to spend some time with my Sophia." She lifts her head slightly. Her eyes search my own, confusion filling golden brown pools.

"Why?"

"Because..." I pause halfway through, preventing myself from saying those tying words. "Because, I know these last few days have been difficult on you and I assumed you needed some company." I finish, subtly avoiding my previous thoughts.

She nods though I suspect she doesn't buy it. "Thank you."

"Hmm?"

"Thank you," She mumbles. "For caring about me."

I smile down at her, softly ruffling her hair. "You are most welcome."

Sophia POV

Now, just a one more day until the coronation and Drake, Drake is acting... strange. I have no clue as to why. Maybe it is stress or... something else. He has been in and out frequently, every time glancing at the same drawer before leaving. It would be a lie to say that I am not worried. It is just so, so unlike himself to be like this. And now, as the daylight hours tick down, fear finds it's way into me, wondering what Drake plans on doing tonight. I sigh, sprawling out on the soft cushions that decorate my cage floor. My book lies forgotten, tossed to the side. Outside, the sunset casts golden light across the countryside, fading to orange, then red, till ending in deep blue. Drake should be back any minute now. As if right on cue, the door clicks open and Drake walks in, a tray of food in hand.

"Good evening Sophia." He says tiredly.

"Good evening Drake." I mumble, standing up and moving over to the cage door.

I watch him set the food and wine on his desk, pulling out a rather strange looking bottle from the suspicious drawer. There is no label nor obvious hint as to what is inside. Drake catches me looking and quickly strides over to my birdcage, unlocking the gate. I instinctively step back in fear, not liking his sudden rigidness.

"It's alright Sophia, I'm not going to hurt you."

His giant fingers lock around my waist, much tighter then I would have liked. I resist the urge to struggle and instead, try to relax. It doesn't work. Something is up. I can tell he is extremely stressed but, I have no idea as to why. It's even worse then before. I gulp as he roughly drops me on his desk. I stumble, trying my best to not fall over. Drake quickly catches me and sets me right, his eyes scrutinizing me. I shiver, not liking this new version of Drake.

"D...Drake?" I gulp, tired of creating assumptions and just wanting to get an answer.

"Yes Sophia." He says harsher than I believe he intended.

"What is going on, you're acting so... so strange." I say quickly, almost stumbling over the words.

I regret saying them as a flash of anger enters Drakes eyes. 'Here we go' I think as he stands to his full height, glaring down at me.

Authors Note.

Sorry for taking so long to update. I have been super busy over the past few weeks with finals and have been unable to make many updates. But, luckily more updates are on the way and also on an exciting note, elementum-orbis - @vize4234, has some art for this story on Instagram if you want to check it out. I couldn't figure out how to upload it here but it's fantastic so, check it out. Anyways, thanks so much for the reads and have a fantastic day!