Chapter 53

Drake POV

My lungs fill with the warm, clean air of the summer day. Its been so long. I rake my fingers through the tall grass as I walk, my feet sinking slightly in the soft dirt. Captivity. Now I know at least to an extent what my Sophia felt like. Though she was in a golden and gilded cage, she was just as much a prisoner as I was in iron bars and stone. And just as I did, she had torture. I treated her in ways no human nor woman should ever be treated. I realize that now. I realize that too late.

I sigh and look up at the bright sun, it's rays beating the air and lighting up the world. My skin is pale from months of isolation in darkness. My limbs weak from chains and immobility. Even so, the memory of Sophia and longing to see her again drives me forward. What will she say when she sees me? More over what will she do? I shiver at the thoughts of what I did in my last moments with her. I tried to choke her. I had blamed her for something she had not done and tried to punish her for it. No doubt I would see loathing in her beautiful brown eyes when I see her again. However, even loathing can not completely replace love.

I'm certain she loved me at one point. She had to have or....

Suddenly I'm falling. Tumbling and rolling over dirt and gravel before coming to a stop against the trunk of a small sapling. The impact knocks the breath out of me. I cough and groan in pain, wriggling around on the dirt as I fight off the pain. Nothing broken but bruised would definitely be there come morning.

"Galore I miss being a giant." I sigh, picking myself from the ground and hobbling over to a large stone.

I sit down and relax my aching body. That was quite a fall. I look up at the steep hill and know if I were at my usual height, it would have only been the height of an average stair in my castle.

"Oh Sophia, at least now I know how you felt." I say this in some foolish hope she will be able to hear my words and feel my remorse.

When night comes, it comes slowly before all at once darkness is all I can see. I've hidden myself away amongst the leaves and branches of a bush. A large maple leaf being my blanket, and a tuft of moss my pillow and mattress. The eerie sounds of the night fill my ears. The booting of an owl five times as loud and terrifying when you are no larger than a mouse. Even the chirping of crickets is loud enough to make me jump but somehow, I fall asleep.

When I dream, I dream of her. Her soft smile, her delicate form, and her musical laugh. When I have nightmares, they are of the things I did to her. The things I can never forgive myself for. And, when I wake up, I think of her. I've far surpassed obsession at this point and in full honesty, it frightens me.

As days go by and I wander on, I begin to realize the possibility of being out here for much longer than simply a week. The vastness of our land is made even larger due to the fact of the difference in my size. I take to carving my initials in the bark of the tree I take shelter under each night. Marking where I've been and when I've been there. Only Galore knows how much longer I'll be here.

I stumble, falling forward onto my hands painfully. I wince and look back, finding I've tripped over and odd looking rock. I sit up with a groan and pull it towards me, realizing it's not a rock at all. I'm holding a small box painted grey in my hands. I've knocked the lid open, it's contents spilling out. A large piece of paper is the first to catch my attention. It's a map! I excitedly scan it, finding where I am and where I've been. In one of the upper corners, a hill is circled in black with the word 'settlement' written in neat cursive written beside it. Also with the map is a silver compass. I pick it up and roll it in my palm, the flowers carved onto it bumpy to the touch.

That's where I'm heading. Maybe they'll be able to help me save Sophia. However, there is one thing. They can't know who I am.

I use a sapling to help me stand and tuck the map into my belt. I pull the compass chain over my head, the cool metal back of it resting against my chest. I stumble down the small hill to a large puddle and peer into the water. My hairs grown long in my time of captivity and escape. That'll help with disguising who I am. I also have a fairly large beard beginning to show, hiding a good portion of my face. Yes, they shouldn't be able to recognize me or at least, very few will be able to.