Chapter 52

Sophia POV

I feel myself growing drowsy as the meeting drags on. Festivals, harvests, and transporting details are discussed in great and unnecessary detail. I can tell Lucian is also getting frustrated though he deals with it much better than I do. I'm literally falling asleep. I pinch myself sharply, trying to wake myself up.

I notice Lucian struggling to hold back a chuckle and make an instant assumption he saw me. I feel a warm blush creep onto my cheeks and quickly glare down at the table.

"Chief Lucian, how long till we receive word from the northern scouts?" A young women near the back of the room asks, a small baby held in her arms.

Northern scouts? I didn't know there were any scouts whatsoever.

"Hopefully by the end of this month." He replies briskly. "Now I believe I have taken enough of your time, you all are free to leave."

The large group begins to file out of the meeting house. I sigh in relief, ready to get our into the sunshine when an older women approaches. She has dark brown hair with streaks of grey neatly tied up in a bun. Her eyes a dark forest green, they remind me of someone. A fleeting familiarity I brush off, greeting her with a smile.

"Eleanor, how good to see you here." Lucian smiles, kissing her hand.

"I am glad to be here as well." She chuckles. "You must be princess Sophia."

Her voice carries a warmness. One I have not heard nor felt since I said goodbye to my mother. I swallow thickly, holding back tears and grinning through the memories.

"I prefer Sophia my Lady." I curtsy.

"And I prefer Eleanor." She smiles back. "I wonder would we be able to speak for a time?"

I look to Lucian. He raises his brow quizzically. "I don't see why not."

"Excellent! Come Sophia, let us walk." She links our arms, tugging me out the door with surprising strength.

I look back over my shoulder to Lucian in confusion. He shrugs back, a small smile playing on his lips. I roll my eyes and stick my tongue out at him. His smile grows wider.

Eleanor pulls me gently along the path till we are well away from the groups of people out on the streets. The early summer air is finally warming, the sun rising in the sky. Green leaves wave softly in the summer breeze, petals of cherry and apple blossoms flowing through the air and drifting onto the path. She leads me onto a small covered bridge the town had built last season. Its thick log structure spanning the sparkling blue river below. Eleanor leans against the railing, her eyes focused on the water below. It seems to me she is deep in thought, something within her mind taking all her attention. I debate whether or not to stand beside her or remain where I am.

"Sophia... do you know who I am."

I pause. Do I? "I...I don't believe so." I say slowly. "Should I?"

She chuckles sadly. "I didn't expect you too. They've all but erased me from their history."

"Their. I'm not sure I understand what your speaking of."

She turns to me, beckoning to me. "Come, stand by me. I will tell you all."

I take a deep breath, stepping up beside her. She takes my hand in hers, gently massaging my palm in thought. I notice her shaking softly and, when I look up, I see glistening tears within her forest green eyes.

"I am so, so sorry." She begins.

Why? Why would she be...

"You do not know me, but you know my son and what you have come to know of him does not shine well on me."